2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got my locker in today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I got my locker in today!

Im pretty much sealevel, its like 100 ft or something.

Unless your REALLY high it really shouldent make a difference too much becasue the f.i will adapt to it... but obviously it cant make up for the actual air being thinner.

I cant explain the answer really well, I just have a good engine to put it simple. You have to remember that they are mass produced, and there can be little variations in heads, valves, pistons, intakes ext... You can take a identical 5.2 and another 5.2 dyno test them and I wouldent be suprised if you could find one with a 30hp difference in same mechanical condition.

My truck has the 3.55 gears, the only other mod that isnt listed is the hypertech power programmer (I dident list it, becasue it does almost nothing for performance.)
My truck would spin the tires like that when it was completely stock with out mods...

In that video it was not even 1/2 throttle... hammer it and it will really light them up.
From a dead stop now, in a staight line on pavement it will only go squak, unlike before when full throttle from a dead stop and I could get them really going. I used a little bit of brakes to get them going, and once you get the tires spinning over 3 grand punch it and let off...then it will really lay rubber.

I guess its posible that the previous owner did engine work to it, but I highly doubt it. When I had the intake manifold off for the plennum kit I could just tell by the gasketmarks, and the bolts and whatnot it was never touched... also, I am 100% that I have 3.55's. I counted the teeth.

When I bought my truck I had test drove many rams including 5.9 rams... this one stood out esspecially in the performance aspect which is a good reason I picked it up.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
JCliffordd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha thats amazing i want one now
Im getting my 6" lift tomorrow though so im kind of tapped out for a little whileee

Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

SirHilton

What elevation are you at? I'm trying to figure out why you can spin the tires so easilwith a 5.2. I have the 5.9 with 3.96 gearsand can barley chirp them from a dead stop. It looks like I've done more to thetruck unless you havn't listed all of your mods. I'm also really high up.
Also consider what tires he is useing. From his pic it looks like he uses smaller street tires. When I pulled the all season tires my truck came with off and slapped a set of 33" BFGs it was harder to break them loose. Tire mass and compoundhave an effect. Sirhilton does have a point, your truck could have been made on a friday before vacation

Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I'm at roughly 4,500 Ft above sea level. It makes a big diffence. My family and I are in the process of moving to South Carolina (I know I've repeated this a 100 times I just want this to make sense) Anyways we've already moved most of our stuff. On our last trip we took the corvette down. My father in-law and I decided to have some fun so we took off of the dolly and went for a ride. Holy cow what a huge differnce that was. In Utah it would spin out then go like crazy and then shift in to second. Now it spins like crazy then graps and goes then when it shifts into second it spins again. It's freaking crazy. Granted the corvette has a carb so he saw a really big differnce. I would think the truck would get a differnce to because now it's getting more air. Oh well will see. I'll be taking the truck down the first week of February. I'll play around a little when I get there

Don't get me wrong the mods I've done have made a pretty big differnce and its a really good truck. I expect to see some gains from the exhaust as well since I've got 3 cats and when I'm done there will only be one slightly modified cat. That could be the other reason. I have a ca emisions truck. It's supposed to be an Ultra Low Emissions vehicle.

I have 285-75-16 tires. So that could be part of it to.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
spaz_22
Captain

altitude does make a difference even in efi engines. I went to school in laramie wyoming. The altitude there was 7200 feet. Back in iowa it's around 1000. We figured it out to be that you lose about 25 to 38 percent of your horsepower from going to sea level to going to 7200 feet. Since you engine has to work alot harder to get the same amount of air into the cylinder then it used to at sealevel...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

I'm at roughly 4,500 Ft above sea level. It makes a big diffence. My family and I are in the process of moving to South Carolina (I know I've repeated this a 100 times I just want this to make sense) Anyways we've already moved most of our stuff. On our last trip we took the corvette down. My father in-law and I decided to have some fun so we took off of the dolly and went for a ride. Holy cow what a huge differnce that was. In Utah it would spin out then go like crazy and then shift in to second. Now it spins like crazy then graps and goes then when it shifts into second it spins again. It's freaking crazy. Granted the corvette has a carb so he saw a really big differnce. I would think the truck would get a differnce to because now it's getting more air. Oh well will see. I'll be taking the truck down the first week of February. I'll play around a little when I get there

Don't get me wrong the mods I've done have made a pretty big differnce and its a really good truck. I expect to see some gains from the exhaust as well since I've got 3 cats and when I'm done there will only be one slightly modified cat. That could be the other reason. I have a ca emisions truck. It's supposed to be an Ultra Low Emissions vehicle.

I have 285-75-16 tires. So that could be part of it to.

Ya, I was always told the efi could 100% account for small altitute changes, like up to 3500 ft or so... I do know the power that they loose... We went out west pulling a trailer with my dads ford... we were climbing the mountain roads... it got to the point where we would have to breathe hard just walking... I remember having to run 2nd gear with that engine screaming to get up those hills... but that ford doesnt have power at low sea level, so waht do you expect up high.. lol

285-75-16's are 33's so im sure thats why. I have 265-70-16 which is 31... thats quite a bit easyer to spin.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Your right that EFI can adjust for altitude changes put it still looses power. Take the corvette I was talking about. It has a carb that you have to adjust the fuel mixture on. In Utah it was running rich because he never got it comletly adjusted. He probably didn't loose much power because of it running rich. When we moved the corvette to SC it was no longer running rich since there was more air entering the combustion chamber. So now it's now it's not wasting fuel due torunning richbut, on top of that because there is more air entering the chamber he has added power. Now if you look at EFI it's not going to run rich or lean due to alttitude changes. So your engine is always running as efficient as it can with what it is given. So at higher levels you loose power because less air and fuel are entering the chamber. The computer is adjusting the amount of fuel entering the chamber so that it dosen't run rich. At lower altitudes you have more power because you have more air entering the chamber and the computer is adding gas so that you don't run lean.

Think of it this way. At sea level the pressure from the attmosphere isequl to about14.69 PSI. At the elevation that I am at the PSI is about 12.64 PSI. Thats 2 PSI differnce. Thats a small super charger

Quick Reply: I got my locker in today!