2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram, electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Ragabash1979
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram, electrical issue

Hi folks,

My name is Chris and I'm new here. I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4

My truck has a strange problem I was hoping to get some insight on.

When I turn on the turn signal and apply the brakes the turn signal freezes in the lite position.

The 4 ways work but also freeze when I apply the brake.

I have replace the flasher relay and replaced the direction control lever on the sterring colum (as recomended by autozone) And so far nothing has affected the problem.

Does anyone know were i should look next or what may be causing this?

THANKS in advance

-C

Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Ram, electrical issue

When you say the lights freeze, do you mean they stay lit...no flash? When you take your foot off the brake, do the lights flash again? Or by freeze do you mean they go dead?
At any rate, test the brake light switch down at the pedal. Terminals 1&2 (farthest away from the plunger) are for the brake lights. You may have a faulty switch. May also be a bad ground somewhere. Also, check all of your bulbs that none are missing or burned out. And...
WELCOME!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Old School2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common problem. Means you have a taillight or turn signal bulb burnt out or just about ready to burn out. If the bulb illuminates dimly replace it. On some rare occasion it will be the ground to the bulb or a broke wire, usually at the bulb connector.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you didn't replace the bulb yet, do that.
also inspect the bulb socket for funk or rust. if so, with everything off, clean with a little brake cleaner, steel wool, etc. then put a light coat of di-electric grease on the base of the bulb

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram, electrical issue