2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

GEN???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEN???

My generator light is comming on, The truck isnt showing more than the first white mark on the volt guage. The alternator is correctly hooked up, there isnt any corrosion on the batt, It starts on the batt, but very sluggishly. There are two things im thinking at this point...dead batt, and the other the ground for the alternator (that wire that bolts to the accessory bracket) i painted the bolt that its on....maybe its not getting a ground through that? The truck stays running when it is running though, and the volts dont go down when its idling, but slightly when im driving. Whats up?

just checked, its definately running off the batt...so its the alt. Im thinking im just gonna pull it and go get it tested.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Default RE: GEN???

You have to scrape that paint off for the ground.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the BIG CAM drawing all the juice out of it... clean that ground wire ..You know better...if that does not work then go have it tested...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

yea, cleaned the ground and went to start and batt had lost too much juice, so i need to charge that. WHile im at it i pulled the alt and im gonna test it for ****s. you are right about the cam drawing more juice. If it idles low it pulls a lot more power from the batt

Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

u can have the alt tested while its on ur truck. They make a tool to hook to ur alt while its running to show how much power its putting out. Autozone or advanced may test it for free in the parking lot. Some small shops will do it for free too.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Yea F*** advance auto. That a$$hole tested my alt and said it was dead, so I took his word on it and spent $130 on a new (reman) one. At this point im ready to barf. I NEVER put reman **** on my truck, and I RARELY buy from crapstores like advance and all them. So they said my batt was dead too...ok fine. I went back to the store I bought my batt at and said its dead id like a new one....they charged it and its good. Guess what else was good? yea, $130 because some punk a$$ wanted to make himself feel like a big man and try to impress someone when he couldnt read the friggin tester. It was the damn buss fuse in the black box. $2.37. Apparently they dont make FDL style fuses anymore in 100+ amp (atleast no one sells them) so I had to modify a diffrent fuse to fit, and it charges just fine now... [:@]

Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

What else is new. people get screwed by Advance, Auto zone, etc Everyday. I would never let them touch my vehicle. I bought new windshield wipers there one time and the dumbass that worked there couldnt even change them

Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

What else is new. people get screwed by Advance, Auto zone, etc Everyday. I would never let them touch my vehicle. I bought new windshield wipers there one time and the dumbass that worked there couldnt even change them
why would you want them to change your wipers ?? unless you couldnt