2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

Quick easy way to tell what gear you have. Jack up the truck and support it so you can spin the rear tires freely. Rotate the tires one full turn. If the pinion rotates roughly 4 times, it is probably 4.10's. If it rotates roughly 4 1/2 times, then you have 4.56. Another option would be to remove the diff cover, and start counting teeth, but given your previous posts, doesn't sound like you'll be doing something like that.

There is an easy fix for your problem. Get 4.88's.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a wierd feeling that whenyour pcm snaps aroundyou'll notice more power. Did you end up makeing a 0-60 movie before the install? No offense, and let me say that again No Offense, I can't see how your truck was pulling 0-60 in the 7 second range with lift, 35's, and a cat-back. Maybe I need to be corrected on this but my truck doesn't seem to make 60 nearly that quick. Needless to say your making me worried about my LT install today [:-]lol When I told my mechanic yesterday that I was installing LT's he wanted me to tell him what I thought. He's a mopar guy and he recommends shortys to most of his customers. He was telling me that unless you plan on other mods you won't see much benefit from the LT's, but he also didn't think I should lose any power. Keep us updated man, maybe let someone else (like your brother) drive it and get his opinion.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
ron333
Captain

My first thought is the PCM is relearning. My truck does that every time I do something different. I get sooo sick of it having to relearn everything that has changed every time I do something new. I am very close to throwing in the towel and buying an SCT tuner at the full price of $615 shipped. I don't want to wait for a group buy on them much longer. If I reprogram the PCM with a performance tune, and then reset the PCM for something, it would start learning at the performance setting, not back to the beginning of the factory setting.

As for the headers, I am very pleased with mine. There is a vibration through the floorboard from my exhaust and it I like it. It feels like a muscle car. The sound (when the PCM has finished its roller coaster performance from learning) is awesome. I hope to get some videos to post soon to share. I am very pleased with what I've done to my truck! I just can't wait to get a tuner that will unlock the true potential my mods have to offer. I was thinking at first that I wanted to have more low end power, but I then realized that with my gearing and driving habits, I needed to think about mid range more than lower. It sucks when you go to pass someone and stomp on it, and you get lots of noise but you only creep along passing them at a crawl! That's exactly what I didn't want, so I have modded accordingly. I have plenty of low end off the line torque for what I prefer, but the top end is much better.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM
MIKE82

This is my very first post here but, i wanted to chime in. you definately lost torque by just putting on longtubes. they will help make torque when everything else is also modified. right now it's not balanced. your not going to see the full potential of those headers until you do a cam, better flowing intake, tb, etc. mostly the cam. you can only get so much out of bolt ons. a set of aftermarket higher flowing heads would be ideal. like i said it has to be balanced. if you didn't plan on doing all of this and you were just planning on bolt ons, shorty headers may have better suited your needs. i just bought my first dodge truck but i've been making mustangs go fast for a long time. engine dynamics are the same no matter what make it is. mike

Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 AM
sstgonzo
Professional

Good first post mike82, I agree.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
lou400a

How about some pictures of the install? Especially from the bottom of the whole exhaust system.
Thanks
Sounds great btw.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Well in regards to the shorty v/s long tubes..I don't know, anyone I talk to always says if your gonna do it you might as well do it. Long tubes just prove to have a wider range of gains through the powerband overall. I know I did loose some torque, and right now it's somewhat throwing my transmission off, but I'm looking forward to the PCM adapting. Also, I know I say right now that I won't be doing a cam, but then again I never thought 5 months ago when I got this truck that it'd have a complete exhaust and all that other **** done to it lol, so knowing me, I'll probably keep going further like I always do. But for now, I'm focused on getting the intake system and fastman tb, I'm confident that will even her back out again. Like I said, the truck isn't paralyzed or anything, it did just loose some torque, but everywhere else improved (mid range, high end, and A LOT of sound). I'm happy overall, but I would like to regain my torque back. I'm going to reshoot a 0-60 video tonight, hopefully the tranny won't react so bad either like it did last night. I want to show you the 0-60 I was getting. It was just a bummer having a worse 0-60 than I did before without the headers. Oh well, headers are headers, you can't go wrong with that. I just go to keep picking away and making them more useful! Thanks for all yourinput so far guys too.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MIKE82
This is my very first post here but, i wanted to chime in. you definately lost torque by just putting on longtubes. they will help make torque when everything else is also modified. right now it's not balanced. your not going to see the full potential of those headers until you do a cam, better flowing intake, tb, etc. mostly the cam. you can only get so much out of bolt ons. a set of aftermarket higher flowing heads would be ideal. like i said it has to be balanced. if you didn't plan on doing all of this and you were just planning on bolt ons, shorty headers may have better suited your needs. i just bought my first dodge truck but i've been making mustangs go fast for a long time. engine dynamics are the same no matter what make it is. mike
Yup, I agree.
Neon, what diameter are the primaries on those headers? Same for the off-road y-pipe? and what size does it leave the truck (cat-back and tailpipe diameters)?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

heres an idea,.....try doing it when your not spinning. you wasted quite a while at 30 just floating. Any check engine lights? what do you have after the Y

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Oh yea....its worse because you had someone else do it. LAME!

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?