2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long Tubes INSTALLED Y-E-A-H!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Long Tubes INSTALLED Y-E-A-H!!

ORIGINAL: RamGuy318

you have any sound clips yet??
No, I'm working on it. I've got a couple of leaks in the y-pipe that are giving me trouble that I'm hoping to have fixed today. Are you in a pinch to get a muffler? If so I can make a sound clip with the exhaust still leaking to give you an idea of what a magnaflow sounds like.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:32 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do want to avoid soldered connections in the 0 to 1 volt wiring to the oxygen sensors. It is an extremely low current circuit that is sensitive.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:37 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I just realized something. We’ve all been talking about relocating O2 sensors and how it causes problems to splice into the wire and extend it. I think that you can do it and here’s why. The front O2 sensor controls the fuel mixture. I say if you’re worried about resistance don’t move the front O2 sensor. The rear O2 sensor however only tells the computer if the cat is functioning. It doesn’t control how the truck runs at all. It’s just there to tell you that the cat isn’t working. I say extend it the worst that could happen is eventually that connection comes loose and it throws and CEL. Then to fix you just need to redo the splice.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point. I think I agree.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

+1

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

HAve you gotten an idea of what kind of gains you got from the headers?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

I just realized something. We’ve all been talking about relocating O2 sensors and how it causes problems to splice into the wire and extend it. I think that you can do it and here’s why. The front O2 sensor controls the fuel mixture. I say if you’re worried about resistance don’t move the front O2 sensor. The rear O2 sensor however only tells the computer if the cat is functioning. It doesn’t control how the truck runs at all. It’s just there to tell you that the cat isn’t working. I say extend it the worst that could happen is eventually that connection comes loose and it throws and CEL. Then to fix you just need to redo the splice.
That is correct that the second O2 sensor tells the computer if the cat is functioning properly. The way I understand it is like this; The second O2 sensor is an emmisoins based system and while the cat is functioning properly it has no effect on the vehical operation. Now if the cat is not running up to par the computer takes the reading from the second, compares it to the first sensor, and adjust air/fuel to keep the expelled emmisions within spec. So in a way it can have a detromentle effect on vehicle performance and can effect fuel milage. Thats what I've got out of talking to various sources. I'm going with an O2 sim and calling it a day, Dan (fastman) is sending me one.

As for gains, it does seem to have some grunt to it lol. Alot of Vermont roadways are up and down, and I can maintain speed up a grade in overdrive at 1500rpm with proper throttle control. Hell, I'm gaining speed on certain grades I could barely keep speed on without a downshift. I'd like to sqaure away my shift points so I can floor it off the line, I'm working on that but I think my clip isn't holding the TV cable in place. I seem to have power on tap, but it does need some fine tuning (tv cable and tps re-adjustment). I'm getting like 9-10 mpg but am very confident that will go up when I get my O2 sim installed (and I keep my foot out of the skinny pedal ).

As far as I'm concered the Y-Pipe is F'n JUNK! Every spot it couples with another component, and even itself, its leaked on me. I've double clamped two conections and band clamped three others. The tubing wall is thin,its just CHEAP. Anyone else that has this system (and did the install themselves) please chime in and tell me what you thought of the y-pipe.

Hope some of this info helps and if you have any question feel free to ask. I'll answer them the best I can.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Headers sound like a good reason to go dual exhaust anyway

Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
RamGuy318
Professional

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: RamGuy318

you have any sound clips yet??
No, I'm working on it. I've got a couple of leaks in the y-pipe that are giving me trouble that I'm hoping to have fixed today. Are you in a pinch to get a muffler? If so I can make a sound clip with the exhaust still leaking to give you an idea of what a magnaflow sounds like.
Im not in a big hurry, i just wanted to hear what it sounds like. I just want to get an idea of what it sounds like and see if i want to do something similiar, muffler wise.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Put up a sound clip in a new post.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes INSTALLED Y-E-A-H!!