2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust revs with the headers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: OK..exhaust revs with the headers!

i just put the fastman on yesterday, and i have a and k&n intake. i have a pic in my sig. the fastman helped the intake alot, and people on here do not lie about the fastman. and i only drove like 10 miles so far. it seems like a brandnew truck. cant wait till the pcm fully relearns.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very exciting to hear that. I cannot wait to get a nice intake system with that Fastman throttle body. It's pretty much where I'd like to stop after those two items, then perhaps a programmer. Still undecided on the intake though. I am not interested in the "hat" intake though. It just seems like it's pointless, it sits right on top of the engine and isn't close to any fresh air, I'd rather stick with the stock set-up than put that filter set-up on. I will say that set-up looks very neat and clean, but I'm doubtful as to how useful it actually is..

Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

That's very exciting to hear that. I cannot wait to get a nice intake system with that Fastman throttle body. It's pretty much where I'd like to stop after those two items, then perhaps a programmer. Still undecided on the intake though. I am not interested in the "hat" intake though. It just seems like it's pointless, it sits right on top of the engine and isn't close to any fresh air, I'd rather stick with the stock set-up than put that filter set-up on. I will say that set-up looks very neat and clean, but I'm doubtful as to how useful it actually is..
Nice sound man! I like the little slap you gave them on the return trip, made me laugh...

I'm curious as to why you think the air hat isn't a good idea? There's a rather long thread on it by Silver_Dodge and includes several who have switched from the FIPK type intakes to the round setup with better results. Read all 20+ pages of the thread before you make a final desicion on the air hat. I can't speak for the FIPK, but I know the round setup was a vast improvement over the stock box. The "you need cold air" theory is true to a point, but when you consider that the air goes into the intake manifold before the combustion chamber and sits in the runner until the valve opens and draws it in, the air gets heated by the heat soaked aluminum manifold anyway and the cold air theory is shot to hell. It's impossible to keep that air cold before it hits the combustion chamber to mix with the fuel.

If you're trying to get some lowend back from that header install, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to max out on air intake into the system. That huge exhaust system is porbably just begging for all you can give it. You've got basically no restriction now in the exhaust, but a ton up top coming in. I'd be willing to bet you'd see a huge improvement if you went out TODAY and spent the $40 or so on an Edelbrock or Mr. Gasket Chrome Hat and paper filter slapped it on there. Heck, you could get the Fastman and the round hat for less than the price of an FIPK. And you actually could do this one yourself. Just do it dude!

The Fastman will definitely help, but if you're choking if off with a restriction like the stock air box, you'll see less gains. Most that have tried both FIPK and Round style prefer the round style's performance.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hmm..that's an interesting perspective. Well, what would I do to go about getting a set-up like Silver_Dodge's? I want that mopar cover, and what size K&N filter do I get? Also, where do I go about getting a Fastman TB? Do I buy it online or something? I'm not sure if there is a thread on the air hat, but I'm not really sure what parts I would need to get to do the install. But yeah, I'd be really excited about that intake/tb combo, I think it will really make the truck rip!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The fastman TB can be purchased from Dan Arcand @ www.thefastman.com
Get the 52mm one for your truck.
He'll send you the TB, swap it with yours and return the old TB to him for the core deposit back.

The round filter can be ordered from Summit, or the dealership, or Moparts.com has them too I believe. If you want the Mopar Performance Aluminum Hat, that'll cost you around $80. A K&N filter for the hat is around $40~$50 The part number for the filter is in the K&N FIPK No More thread. I'll bump it for you.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the link for the mopar performance aircleaner
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

and here's the link to the edelbrock aircleaner
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

The K&N filter you can pick up at any local autoparts store, just make sure it's 14x3in.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:25 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Are these hats exclusively designed for carburerated engines? I'm only asking because onthe summit link, it only mentions it for a carbeurator..or did you guys figure out they are interchangable with our engines too?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

The throttle body on your 360 is built exactly like an old 2 barrel carb (pop the airbox off at take a look for yourself) So the round aircleaner will fit like a condom. All you need is a stand alone breather which you can pick up at any autoparts store, and a 1/4-20 threaded rod which you can get at home depot.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LMAO a condom, **** that's great. Sounds good, thanks cereal and squirrels!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Here's a picture to help ease any worries you might have, the screw hold in the bottom center of the throttle body is where your "S-bolt" goes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust revs with the headers!