2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust revs with the headers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OK..exhaust revs with the headers!

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Thanks bud! Yeah I really like it too! And I must be honest, the camera does not give the sound justice at all. The revs are immaculate, sounds like a stang imo. And driving around town, ahh man, she slaps so hard yet with that sweet flowmaster tone, just am obsessed with it. How does that K&N work for you? Has it cracked on you? Does it make a loud noise? And do you feel a boost with it at all?
The K&N seems to work really wellfor me. The one that was on it when I bought the truck had a small crack in the top next to the mounting bolt, so I contacted K&N and they sent me a 2nd gen one for free and no problems so far. I think it looks good under the hood and it makes quite a bit of noise too. The only thing that I will probably do is buy a bigger to put on it and allow some more air to be sucked in once I get some headers. It does seem like the throttle response is a little better than a ram without one as well. Also,I do like that the K&N is located further from the engine allowing cooler air to be introduced too, just seems like good philosophy.Now, if I had to go and buy one brand new, I would probably end up going with the airhat setup, just because it seems much more cost effective and also allows improved throttle response according to everyone that has one. But I think I will keep with my K&N setup unless something happens. I would say either way you go you will definitely see a great improvement over the stock setup. Good luck with either way you go.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels
The "you need cold air" theory is true to a point, but when you consider that the air goes into the intake manifold before the combustion chamber and sits in the runner until the valve opens and draws it in, the air gets heated by the heat soaked aluminum manifold anyway and the cold air theory is shot to hell. It's impossible to keep that air cold before it hits the combustion chamber to mix with the fuel.
I made it real big so anyone who ever reads this thread in the picture will stop and wonder what it says and then read it. In an acura integra a cold air intake is a geat idea, inside of a Dodge Ram kegger intake it's about as useful as **** on a bull.

Besides that the air hat is more effecieint because you can suck air from 360 degrees around it (this proves even more effecient if you have a body lift). and the air only has to make one 90 degree turn from the time it hits the filter till the time it goes through the blades on the throttle body. It doesn't have to travel up a tube and make multiple turns while losing velocity the whole time. Hence better throttle response.

Now obviously both systems will yeild better gains than the stock set up.
Now a K&N FIPK is $280
Now a fancy Mopar Performance airhat is $80
Now a not so fancyMr. Gasket airhat is like $18

If you're going to spend $280 on an airintake system I'dsay just hold off and spend the extra$100 or so on the Ram Air Box, andit might actually be worth it.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:40 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I completely agree with you; cold air intake sounds cooler. If I was going to get one new, I'd go with the air hat style, but as is I am happy with my K&N so it will stay. Now, how about putting a larger filter on the FIPK? Wouldn't that allow more air to be taken in and be closer to the effect of the airhat style?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I would imagine so. Certainly when I put my 2" body lift on I'll be getting a 14x4 filter in place of my 14x3 filter.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Here's something kinda cool from K&N
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm

Looks like it would increase the air intake quite a bit.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Yeah I've thought about that bud I go through a fair amount of mud and water, and I have a wrap around my filter as it is.

I'm acutally considering giving up my round intake in persuit of a snorkel... but we shall see.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Cereal, would you insert an "s" after "get" in the third line? If you're gonna quote me that large, I would at least want to be grammatically correct...

I raelly goota start Pruf reedin mi pots.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Gotcha

Quick Reply: Exhaust revs with the headers!