2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone taken the side molding off ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
8t5gt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone taken the side molding off ?

hey guys as u can see i got a 95 ram. the sidemoulding is all chipped chrome and clear plastic peeling, im lookin to remove it like i did on my mustang. what should i expect to be under there? decent paint that i can buff up or what? i know i got a rust spot under there thats why i wanna take it all off to fix that so it doesnt keep leaking rust down my door. any pics would be awsome too. it doesnt look like the metal underneath has a groove or anything so it will be flat and look good when i take it off ,no? any one have experience?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
BostonRamGuy
Professional
Default RE: anyone taken the side molding off ?

Hey there, I have a 98' and I recently removed the black rubber side molding. I know its a little different from the older style molding but the idea is the same. Expect there to be a hard gummy sticky mess under there. Here's how to remove: 1- Heat the molding with a heat gun/blow dryer. 2- Pull off molding with your hands! Do not use tools! You will ruin the paint- 3- Remove all the gummy mess with a eraser wheel - http://store.autotoolexpress.com/sgt17900.html- The paint had not faded under the molding at all. Here is a pic of the final result:, Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

thanks bro thats exactly what i needed. and dammmmmmmmmn ur paint is amazing ! im effin jelous. anyway thanks again bro im gonna take it all off in the spring then. its just so hideous anything has to be better than it.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
BostonRamGuy
Professional

Wow you think so? Thanks!

Quick Reply: anyone taken the side molding off ?