2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires and life of Trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
JCliffordd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and life of Trans

Ok so im lifting my truck and my trans isnt already the greatest with 28s on it just stock, i want to put 33's or 35's how much do you think its going to kill it?
Going into 2nd it revs up until it catches and sometimes ill have to let off for it to catch (used to be all the time but i got the bands already adjusted and the TC cable) sooo how long do you guys think itll last?
I was thinking after it goes, put a rebuilt one in and then put gears in as fast as possible.
tell me what you think.
Thanks
-Jared

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
JCliffordd
Professional
Default RE: Tires and life of Trans

Anyone?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

As I've said before, my 1995 Dakota had the same (or very similar) problem with the transmission. It worked that way for about three or four years before I traded it, never got worse, never got better, never had to do a rebuild or anything.

It would only do it when it was cold or barely warm. If you let the pickup idle in Neutral for a bit before you go somewhere ("a bit" depending on your outside temps), it should do it less.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 PM
JCliffordd
Professional

really?
Hmmm ill try it but knowing these dodge trans haha they arnt built very well at all
But did you kept your tire size stock though right?
Which is my huge factor and my question....

Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM
JCliffordd
Professional

Come on guys nothing hahaha

Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JCliffordd

Ok so im lifting my truck and my trans isnt already the greatest with 28s on it just stock, i want to put 33's or 35's how much do you think its going to kill it?
Going into 2nd it revs up until it catches and sometimes ill have to let off for it to catch (used to be all the time but i got the bands already adjusted and the TC cable) sooo how long do you guys think itll last?
I was thinking after it goes, put a rebuilt one in and then put gears in as fast as possible.
tell me what you think.
Thanks
-Jared
I think that unless you have the money to do both you should forget the the lift and the bigger tires and save the money toward a new transmission. Then do the gears. Then do the lift and the Tires.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing ive noticed is when something does go with these trannys, they will still work for a long time... I know someone with a 01 ram that had tranny problems, it had lke 160k and he drive it slipping like hell and not shifting at all right for like a year and like 12,000 miles or somthing, untill finally he lost all gears except for 1st then put a new one in...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

I think that unless you have the money to do both you should forget the the lift and the bigger tires and save the money toward a new transmission. Then do the gears. Then do the lift and the Tires.

[/quote]

x2...we all know our trannies are going to go at some point. don't get the cart before the horse. get everything straight (tranny, gears) then do the lift and big tires...you'll be glad you did, i guarantee it...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I did not keep my stock tire size on the Dakota.

I ended up putting 30x9.5s on there (still 15 inch stock rims though), if I remember correctly. I didn't want to raize it up any, and anything bigger on the stock rims would have looked ridiculous and caused abnormal tire wear. They did rub during tight turns, but that didn't bother me much.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

my tranny has been doing the samething yours is for 4 yrs now course tire sze is stock and i dont put many miles on just mainly to and from work 15 mi round trip and the occasion 300 or 400 mi trip. I also am pretty hard on it. I figure when if it starts shifting good is when i will be worried about it. lol

Quick Reply: Tires and life of Trans