2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrading my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM
RUgbykid69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upgrading my truck

alright im probably gonna be doing the 14x3 air cleaner this weekend..i was wonderign if the bolt for the air cleaner is with the cleaner in the box or do you have to buy that seperate?? also besides cleaning the throttle body is there anything else imight as welldo while working on that?? also just out of curiosity what sites or stores have performance chips??

also thx for all the help..i really appreciate it

Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USE THIS AIR CLEANER!!!! IT IS ONLY 18 DOLLARS!! YOu don't need to do any custom rod bending. It net me 2 more MPG from the stock box WITH a k&N and better response. Do not buy the K&N filter and put it into the POS stock airbox.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

YOu will need to cut the bolt they give you because your throttle body will not go deep enough to secure it. Once you buy it you will know what i am talking about.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
RUgbykid69

there is just one last question before i start...what about the map sensor??

Old 02-17-2008, 11:07 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

ORIGINAL: nolazach

Alot of people who get them, do swear on them. I bought on just because it might make the CAI look cooler, then I decided not to go with the CAI. I don't know if I will even put the spacer on, I think I wasnt the mopar filter, or an oval one; haven't seen that yet.
Go pop your hood and look at your intake manifold and Look where your throttle body is located on it, and explain to me how you think a throttle body spacer is going to help that system? Why do you think it would it help? Because it costs money? Alot of the people who get them and swear on them probably don't drive dodge rams, and you should look at the intake manifold of the car that they drive, and you'll understand why it works on thiers and not on yours. They're vehicles are throttle body injection, our trucks are port injectionIt's about as funny as the idea of a "Cold air intake" cooling the air inside your CAST ALUMINUM intake. That stores and enormous amount of air that heats up the second it comes in...

Now on a plastic intake manifold a cold air intake makes alot of sense...
YAY!!!

FYI either way the colder the air into the intake manifold the lower the temps when the air gets to the heads. Ex, if you have a dry shot of nitrous before the throttle body, its going to cool temps to about 20-50*F depending on app. If normally your intake temp is about 150*F after going through the intake manifold it doesnt mean that the air fed by nitrous is going to rise to 150*F. Temps in the intake manifold are not a constant, though they are a constant increase if the manifold has not been altered/cooled. (constant meaning the temp will always be the same, constant increase meaning it will always increase the air temp by X ammount) So yes you are right, it wont reduce the ammount that the intake manifold increases the air temp by, but it will reduce the final temp....that is IF the cold air intake is actually doing its job rather than selling you some **** and bull story.

ORIGINAL: CPTAFW163

USE THIS AIR CLEANER!!!! IT IS ONLY 18 DOLLARS!! YOu don't need to do any custom rod bending. It net me 2 more MPG from the stock box WITH a k&N and better response. Do not buy the K&N filter and put it into the POS stock airbox.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D1002&am p;N=700+4294756384+400065+115&autoview=sku

YOu will need to cut the bolt they give you because your throttle body will not go deep enough to secure it. Once you buy it you will know what i am talking about.
dude, is that 18 after shipping an handling? thats 6 bucks cheeper than pepboys.

nevermind...i clicked it lol

Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
YAY!!!

FYI either way the colder the air into the intake manifold the lower the temps when the air gets to the heads. Ex, if you have a dry shot of nitrous before the throttle body, its going to cool temps to about 20-50*F depending on app. If normally your intake temp is about 150*F after going through the intake manifold it doesnt mean that the air fed by nitrous is going to rise to 150*F. Temps in the intake manifold are not a constant, though they are a constant increase if the manifold has not been altered/cooled. (constant meaning the temp will always be the same, constant increase meaning it will always increase the air temp by X ammount) So yes you are right, it wont reduce the ammount that the intake manifold increases the air temp by, but it will reduce the final temp....that is IF the cold air intake is actually doing its job rather than selling you some **** and bull story.
You're comparing apples to oranges here man. A dry shot of nitrous is a totally different animal than a cold air intake, that's basically an open element version of the stock air box. A shot of nitrous would actually cool the air significantly enough to make an improvement. Air collected through a CAI 18 inches away from the motor and a foot away from the exhaust manifold, that then has to travel through a metal tube that keeps getting closer to motor until it gets into the alumium manifold is going to be what? maybe 1 degree cooler if at all? All be it, it is less restrictive than the stock air box is, I seriously doubt the air is going to be any cooler through it than the air coming through the stock box.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:15 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

YAY!!!

You're comparing apples to oranges here man. A dry shot of nitrous is a totally different animal than a cold air intake, that's basically an open element version of the stock air box. A shot of nitrous would actually cool the air significantly enough to make an improvement. Air collected through a CAI 18 inches away from the motor and a foot away from the exhaust manifold, that then has to travel through a metal tube that keeps getting closer to motor until it gets into the alumium manifold is going to be what? maybe 1 degree cooler if at all? All be it, it is less restrictive than the stock air box is, I seriously doubt the air is going to be any cooler through it than the air coming through the stock box.
I think were arguing the same point here. I am 100% in agreement about the fake cai nonsense. Im talking about things that actually work, things that pull air from outside the engine bay. Temps inside the engine bay can get up over 150*...never will you find a day on earth thats hotter than 150*. So no matter what youll be getting colder temperatures if you are pulling air from outside of the engine bay (through a sealed and properly protected, from heat, system)

Old 02-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YAY!!!

I think were arguing the same point here. I am 100% in agreement about the fake cai nonsense. Im talking about things that actually work, things that pull air from outside the engine bay. Temps inside the engine bay can get up over 150*...never will you find a day on earth thats hotter than 150*. So no matter what youll be getting colder temperatures if you are pulling air from outside of the engine bay (through a sealed and properly protected, from heat, system)
Agreed

Quick Reply: Upgrading my truck