2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burglar Proof!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Burglar Proof!!

I wired in a relay into the starter circuit under the dash on the column. The relay cuts the starter circuit unless I unlock the doors with my remote start. You could easily wire the relay to a hidden switch somewhere too.
It won't stop a pro for longbut it keeps the kids from taking it for a joy ride.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you guys have an automatic. you can look it up. under the dash there a wire in the harness that is jumped out that is used for the clutch saftey switch on the manual version. just cut the wires and run wires to a switch somewhere hidden. there ya go truck wont start unless you hit the button

Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

yup getting into these are not that easy i was locked out for and 1hour and a half waitin on my better half to bring me keys 30mins away it sucked keep a flat key in ur wallet and ur wallet in ur pocket not the console or door pockets either cause that happens alot....never did it before in my life then did it like 5 times within a month good luck to all of us with this issue.....j

Old 02-01-2008, 10:10 AM
BIGRED97
Captain

ive carried an extra key in my wallet since i had the truck. locked my keys to many time sin my stratus. once i left my wallet and everything in the truck. but my backside window was cocked open just barely, but my best friend happens to be a skinny lil guy and slid his arm all the way through that exhaust window to hit the switch and unlock my truck! man what it must be like to skinny!!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

I pounded a wedge between the door and the cab, and got a rod to pull up on the door handle
I wish i had power locks because then you could just push the button
ALso i dont have a sliding rear window to break into

Now i keep and extra key under the truck in the frame rail, with one of those magnetic key boxes

just in case someone on here would like to steal my truck. Do me a favor, i have full coverage

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is this flatkey, is it similar to a slim jim?, if so, they are illegal to carry, afaik.

but yeah, i've got a hidden killswitch, two remotes, as well as a spare key on my person, so im pretty good unless i leave my wallet in the truck at the time.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: rabbler

Actually a 2nd gen ram is really easy to get into IF you know how.
Now this isn't something I would do to my own truck as it causes some body damage but with a screw driver I could get into it in under 10 seconds and probably steal it in less than a minute.
About the same for a Caravan and a Jeep GC too
It's pretty sad how easy actually...
Yep, I don't know about the door, but, my bro's 93 JGC had the tumbler go out in the ignition, he just pulled off the bottom of the column, wired in a couple of switches (one for power and one for starter) and it fired right up, then he put the key in the ignition to unlock the column and he drove it like that for about 6 months, lol. Then he just put a new column in it, which was a major pita.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Try having a 740il, I locked my keys in the car in Destin. Called pop-a-lock. They couldn't get in. Called AAA they didn't even try. Went to BMW dealership there it was closed. Went online, saw that it took at least seven days for a new key. I was about to have the car towed all to a dealership and fly home. I saw on a BMW forum about how to drill a hole in a certain spot on the trunk lid behind the license plate and from there you could stick a coat hanger in and pop it. Went to wal mart bought a cheap drill and a metal bit, and a ten pack of wire hangers. After an hour of looking like a criminal taking a drill into a BMW in a crowded parking lot and having to answer questions from bicycle cops twice. I finally got the trunk popped. From there I had to mess with the power door lock relay, and the locks popped open. I was done. It only took me five hours and I don't know how much money. But it was open. THAT IS BUGULAR PROOF

Or so I thought, I had that car parked for a while at my house in Baton Rouge and some one smashed the window and stole my Sirius Radio and broke the colum open, but they didn't get the car or the radio.

Nothing is Bugular proof!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sinister

What is this flatkey, is it similar to a slim jim?, if so, they are illegal to carry, afaik.

but yeah, i've got a hidden killswitch, two remotes, as well as a spare key on my person, so im pretty good unless i leave my wallet in the truck at the time.
Flat key meaning an actually key that doesn't have the rubber on the end. I.E. it's flat.

I think that's what everyone is refering to anyway.

And i I carry a key in my wallet now too.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't what they are calling a flat key just getting a copy of the key and it being flat instead of having the rubber on it? I got a copy made of the key for my truck and it doesn't have that rubber on and is just flat. I assume this is what they are talking about so it won't have that buldge to it.

Quick Reply: Burglar Proof!!