2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burglar Proof!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Burglar Proof!!

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

ORIGINAL: Sinister

What is this flatkey, is it similar to a slim jim?, if so, they are illegal to carry, afaik.

but yeah, i've got a hidden killswitch, two remotes, as well as a spare key on my person, so im pretty good unless i leave my wallet in the truck at the time.
Flat key meaning an actually key that doesn't have the rubber on the end. I.E. it's flat.

I think that's what everyone is refering to anyway.

And i I carry a key in my wallet now too.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I've never called one a flat key, but on the other hand I've never heard of anything calleda "flat key" used to break into cars.
I actually have an old slimjim that use to be my paps down in the basement, but they don't work so well with never cars.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
plafleursr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not, When I was looking at the 2001 Ram Quad door that I bought. The Salesman had Truck running with Drivers door open, he shut the door. It was locked as when you start it doors lock. Had No spare key. Had his mechanic come over, put small plastic wedge in corner of door between main and second door, then put a small air bag in, pumped up a little, put in a small diameter rod and pushed door lock button. Took about 2 minutes.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my active alarm locks the door after 1 minute of leaving the vehicle. keys in the ignition or not.. , i've learnt the hard way, thats why i always keep those spares.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM
SilverRam1500

Guys I suggest you become known to your local locksmiths. I am a locksmith, & I can open most any vehicle out there, but I keep updated on the latest vehicles & newest opening proceedures & tools. Get to know your local locksmith, get a couple of his cards, you will benifit by using a professional.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Homercline

With my 95 I just take the cb antanna and slide it in at the back top corner of the door and push the door lock. 2 seconds, sometimes I lock my keys up for fun. Regular Cab

Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 AM
nolazach
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Homercline

With my 95 I just take the cb antanna and slide it in at the back top corner of the door and push the door lock. 2 seconds, sometimes I lock my keys up for fun. Regular Cab
I hope no crooks are reading this. lol Need to get one of these only $700 no one will ever break into your car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812...e.thrower.car/

Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Wrestling4x4
Rookie

well i didnt but my bro locked my keys in my truck tonight and i locked my back window with two short pieces of steel rods and i left it enough room to get in there with a hanger out but took me bout a half hourknock that metal thing out. at least i know it will take a long time for someone to figure that stuff out. good feeling.. sorry guys kinda inibriated (sp?) so sorry bout spellin and stuff..

Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MY truck came with a "Valet Key". It's totally flat and only opens the door and ignition. Not the glovebox.

And I have a secret killswitch too. The fuel system relay under the hood in the PDC, takes 20 seconds. Crooks will need a tow truck to steal it.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 AM
62Rampsidekid

I thought a flat key was a credit card size card that has a plastic coated metal key in the center. I had one of these credit card keys for a Chevy Cavalier about 10 years ago and used it several times, worked like a charm and as stated above the card was maybe twice as thick as a credit card but the same length and width dimensions.

Anyone use a spare key in a magnetic key holder stashed in the frame? Living out in the middle of nowhere and driving my truck to work which is similar to a military base as far as security into/around/ and out of, there hasn't been much need to lock it up tight as a drum! Although, I have used the antenna through the top of the door trick once! Hidden spare key has been used numerous times as well!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 AM
v10power
Professional

Well driving a tow truck it takes me longer to get my slim jim out of my lock out tool pouch then it does to actually open the doors on these. Hell any "pop lock" vehical takes roughly 4 to 5 seconds to get into. The only upside to this is most people don't have the "privilage" to own these, but they still are not hard to come by. I got tools ranging to get into any vehical from dodges all they way to bmw's and even exotics. Plus "picking locks" isn't all that hard once you learn what you are doing. Mostly nothing is steal proof in the hands of real professionals which really sucks.

Quick Reply: Burglar Proof!!