2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Junkyard Ram air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Junkyard Ram air intake

This is a mod a bunch of chevy guys used, and i almost used for my camaro because you can get the dual snorkel at a junkyard:

DUAL SNORKEL RAM INTAKE:

You get a dual snorkel air cleaner intake and attach funnel plastic or rubber tubing to both ends. Then you cut holes in your bumper (or funnel the tubes just under the bumper hidden under the radiator). The tubes go into the holes. Then you make some very small holes in the tubing at the first bend at the bottom before it starts to travel up to the air cleaner. That way if it rains most of the water can escape through those holes before it goes into the intake.

THis is the intake. YOu attach the tubing and run them down and bend them so they face the front...so the air can RAM into it.

Has anyone done this? It would be cheaper thanbuying the ram air hood and the customdual snorkel.
another

These are both MOPAR snorkels.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Junkyard Ram air intake

I've seen this before...seems like one of the Indy guys did it...can't remember.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I think theirs had the tunes that went UP in conjunction with the ram air hood. This mod uses the stock hood. I am searching for a pic that shows what I am talking about.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://dodgeforum.com/m_376205/tm.htm

Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, your not the only one who has thought of this. This last summer, I got an idea to duplicate the ramairbox design using old school parts. Here is the air cleaner I bought to do this very thing. It is off a small block Mopar from 1978. The 4 barrel it was on has the exact diameter as the TB's on our trucks. I picked this one because the snorkels are closer together. I felt this would facilitate better air flow if the tubes were coming from the front grill somewhere (straighter path right to the front grill). I never got around to installing it to test it because It didn't fit under the cowl. I didn't care because I knew I was getting a body lift. It will fit now, and it is still on my to do list. I even have some pretty cool retro 318 decals to go on top. Still need to clean it up and repaint it so it looks new. One of the reasons I stopped working on it is that I wanted to find something other then dryer vent for the tubes. I hate how they look. I didn't find anything that I liked, so the project got shelfed. I'm still keeping my eye out for somthing that looks better for tubing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/091584E3B971454995C0D3552CF97D78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Autozone sells the black rubber tubing that is used for people making their own CAIs. It is thick stuff and you just use large hose clamps to tighten down the ends. I like the ones that are more spread out. that way it can clear around the radiator shroud and then go down.

Now that you mention clearance issues, makes me think it won;t fit for me since I don;t have a body lift.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go

http://www.ramairbox.com/kits.html

as for that other link....dont listen to anyone who has anything to do with "hot rodding" a Grand Prix, if you want a good laugh check this out. http://www.gtpworld.com/

after reading his responces on that link...the burning rom shouldnt have tech certified on his profile. Laughable!

Quick Reply: Junkyard Ram air intake