2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tune up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
wayneo360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune up

hey im thinking bout doing a tune up pretty soon nd want some opinions.. so i really want red plug wires nd i went onto summit and found these.. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku.. anybody use these or have used them? nd im also going to use champion plugs, a new fuel filter, a k&n 14x3 filter to replace the paper filter that came with the edelbrock air cleaner. nd for my dist. cap and rotor i was thinking about getting this.. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku.. anybody use this before? if theres no difference im going to just go with the blue summit one.. k well thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tune up

wiresare fine , im a MSD man my self... cap and rotor can be had at your local autoparts just make sure you get brass cap , plugs 3923 autolite. then i would upgrade the coil to an msd 8228 factory replacemet i have a new one sitting here asking 56.00 shiped...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Summitracing.com has that coil for $48.20 brand new. Of course you have a $11 handleing charge but still it's not much more for a brand new one from summit.

For the plugs I'd stay away from those Autolites. I put them in my truck and after a month or so it started running like it had a miss. I put the Champions back in my truck and like them a lot better.

For wires I also like MSD stuff. I have a set on there now that was for a non Magnum as I ordered the wrong set. The difference is the coil wire was too short and the other wires the ends that hooked on the dist were too big so I made them smaller with pliers and put them on. They seem tight but everyonce in a while one will come loose. MSD sent me a coil wire when I called them they told me to measure mine and then they sent me the correct length. I just happened to have ordered a set of the correct ones to hope it fixes that problem. I've had the others probably 30k miles or so. Not enough I'd normally change them but I am going to have the pleneum done eventually so I ordered the APS kit and then this stuff from Summit.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I installed the summit brass cap/rotor and thundervolt 8.2's in my truck. Made a good improvement over the stock junk that was in there. Taylor or MSD I don't think you can go wrong.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I do have Taylor Thundervolt wires on my Honda and love them too. I've always used Napa dist. cap and rotors.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
wayneo360
Professional

thanks for all the info guys.. i def putting champion plugs in there cause i made the mistake of putting bosch in there before nd they were horrible.. i know champions work so yea.. for wires now im giong to do the taylors or msd, im going to look into those. and if theres no difference between the napa dist cap nd rotor or the summit other than color, i wanna get the summit just cause i think the blue will look cool (because we can see are distributors so good right?).. and does everybody just use regular napa fuel filters?

Quick Reply: tune up