2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Kegger Intake Mod DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you can pull the intake and just replace the gasket but it will blow again

Maybe a bad design issue?..yes two things,, belly pan blots wrong size and can not get correct TQ specs,, also the main reason the kegg is 1/4 almiunm and the the belly pan is 1/8in steel and the them heat up and at diff rates causing the gasket to were and blow

i would save up and get the Hughes kit,, because it going to cost about 60bucks just to replace the gasket them it going to blow again(intake bolts and gakets)

Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I was told that the Hughes kit is the only way to go, just did not know why. Thanks for the explanation! I like the sig by the way. I have to remind myself to check the t-chain when i'm in there. Good thing I only paid 1200 for the truck so in a way, I'm still saving... I guess...

Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hughes kit is just an alum pan, the gaskets, and the bolts, nothing more. APS Precision sells the same kit (cheaper if I recall from when I bought mine). In other words, theres nothing special about the Hughes kit. Hell, you could even make one yourself if you can get hold of a sheet of 1/4" alumium. The gaskets and bolts can all be bought at parts stores or dealerships.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
The Hughes kit is just an alum pan, the gaskets, and the bolts, nothing more. APS Precision sells the same kit (cheaper if I recall from when I bought mine). In other words, theres nothing special about the Hughes kit. Hell, you could even make one yourself if you can get hold of a sheet of 1/4" alumium. The gaskets and bolts can all be bought at parts stores or dealerships.
Yeah, I noticed the APS kit. I have always heard my father talk about Hughes so I think that will give me a sense of security. I just have some other financial issues and was weighing my options. HUGHES IT IS!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Platinum Niner
Amateur

How long did your stock plenum gasket last? Your new one will last just as long. No need to buy the aluminum pan. If it goes in another 100K miles who cares? Ill deal with it then. A little RTV on both sides of the gasket helps to!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum Niner
How long did your stock plenum gasket last? Your new one will last just as long. No need to buy the aluminum pan. If it goes in another 100K miles who cares? Ill deal with it then. A little RTV on both sides of the gasket helps to!
Because as the old saying goes: "If I dont have the time or the money to do it RIGHT now, when will I ever have the time or money to do it RIGHT?"

Plus I dont wanna tear half of my engine apart to replace a known failing part that will inevitely fail again.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

I bought the truck with 155k on it. Now has 162k. It seemed to have alot more power when I bought it but I don't beat on it so it might have happened gradually. I would rather do it right the first time. Considering how solid the truck is, I might just have to keep it around for a decade or so.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Niner
Amateur

I just picked up an extra manifold i plan to gut out before changing my plenum gasket. Figure ill have this one all ready to go for the swap to cut down on time. I plan on re using the stock plenum. I have 169K on my 5.9 and it just started pinging under load about 1000 miles ago. I can live with replacing it again if it lasts another 168K miles. If not i plan on building the 5.9 up with a nice cam, roller rockers, headers, id be happy with 400 HP which is very easy to do with these engines. At that time, ill go with the upgrade. For now the stock one is just fine for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no guarantee at all that the new one will last just as long. It might last half as long or less, or it might last longer. Better to do it right then put it back together knowing it will fail again.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta do the plenum fix on mine, I'm gonna spring for the hughes kit and get a spare kegger to mod and do the fix right the first time. You may as well do it

Quick Reply: Kegger Intake Mod DIY