2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Kegger Intake Mod DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kegger Intake Mod DIY

It's funny to me how these trucks are 12+ years old and people still find quirks for them.

Hey Silver, I want to do the plenum, so the kit you recieved, is it easy enough for a noob like me to install? If I go by your list and do my water pump and all that, think I can do it in a weekend? Man I wish one of yall was my neighbor, lol.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM
beaner

I am a manchinist by trade and there nothing wrong with how you cut that. You made it work with what you had and the end result came out just fine. Just make sure there is no shop near by to catch fire.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Silver: I would like to find out someday if there is any noticable difference between the way you cut them and the way I did.

Before:
Name:  Truck050.jpg
Views: 12064
Size:  95.1 KB

After 1" cut @ 45*

Name:  Truck055.jpg
Views: 12083
Size:  105.0 KB

Any guesses?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So after putting almost 100 miles on since the install, here are my observations. I'm sure some of the gains I'm seeing are caused by the fact that my plenum is no longer blown, and I fixed a bad cap and rotor. But even with that considered, there is a noticable gain in the mid RPM range over how the truck was before these other things occured. I don't have a tach, but if I had to guess, i'd say from 2000-4000 rpm range. It now takes very little throttle to get it moving at highway speeds in this RPM range. Accleration is so smooth too. I'm sure i'm going to see some nice results at the pump on the next tank I test f I keep my foot out of it. I'm definetly using much less throttle then I used to under normal throttle conditions. I have not perceived any low end loss at all (under 2000 rpm). It feels the same on the top as it used to except that now it pulls clear up to the shift points under hard acceleration. Before, it kinda ran out of juice before I got the full throttle shifts. I'd still like to see how it feels now when I tow, and under some other conditions.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
highlander73
Professional

I'll post this here because it could help with your DIY instructions: How does one tell if they have an EGR motor? I have a '96 5.9, and I've heard some do/some don't have EGR. What are we looking for - extra port on the intake with some contraption attached to it I'm guessing?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

Silver: I would like to find out someday if there is any noticable difference between the way you cut them and the way I did.

Before:

After 1" cut @ 45*

Any guesses?

Yours looks very good. What did you think of it after you installed it?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I kinda feel the same way you do. I think some of my gains were due to my plenum being repaired but I did feel a slight increase after 2500. I did the cut down when my truck only had an intake kit and a bored throttle body so I don't think I reaped all the benefits until I installed my exhuast system. The way the truck is set up now my powerband kicks in hard around 2700 or so without any noticeable loss of low end. You have a performance flash right? I really think that would help pull it together, along with 1.7s or a cam of course

Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
fivenine ram
Professional

what causes these trucks to cath fire im new to this whole dodge thing ive heard of this happenin on other dodge trucks and was wonderin what causes it before i start messin with mine

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: fivenine ram

what causes these trucks to cath fire im new to this whole dodge thing ive heard of this happenin on other dodge trucks and was wonderin what causes it before i start messin with mine
That was just cereal killer f'n with indy because indy left an oily rag in his engine bay that caused a fire.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
fivenine ram
Professional

oh i got it now that i feel like a dumb*ss[sm=icon_beat.gif] but ive heard of these trucks catchin fire at the intake and burnin the aircleaner, harness and a whole bunch of other stuff gettin melted and thats waht i was askin about but ill be sure to make sure i dont leave old rags in the engine bay

Quick Reply: Kegger Intake Mod DIY