2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winter Storm.. 12+ inches forcasted.. transfercase..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storm.. 12+ inches forcasted.. transfercase..

My family has owned the truck I am driving now since new.. Very well taken care of and until I bought it from my dad had never seen snow of mud. Now I have alway drivin dodge 4x4s or jeeps but I was wondering if i should do anything to the transfer case cause I have a 450 mile drive in the heat of the storm and where i am goin has been forcasted 14+ inches so i was jus courious if there were any effects from long term use in 4h? I jus hit the 104000 mark. The rear jus got new gears of a stealership

[IMG]local://upfiles/81264/76F910E762234D77AF45A188139FB8BB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter Storm.. 12+ inches forcasted.. transfercase..

If you gotta use it, you gotta use it. I don't think there are any long term effects that would hurt your truck. Just test it out to make sure it feels/sounds good. About the only thing to do to prepare it would be to drain it and put in some fresh fluid. It's a very simple job. On the rear side of the case there are two plugs, one at about 7 o'clock and one at about2 o'clock...or pretty close. (picture the face of a clock) Just take a 10mm hex wrench and remove theplug at 7 o'clock to drain the fluid. Replace it, then remove theplug at 2 o'clock to refill it. The easiest way to do this, due to the location of the fill plug, is to put the fluid (ATF +4) in a squirt bottle and squeeze it into the hole. You don't have to use ATF +4, but that is what Dodge recommends. This is so that if the seal between the t-case and tranny ever goes bad, the fluid mix will not hurt either of them.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Fluid check, make sure it shifts, and you should be good to go. Just make sure there is enough snow on the road to keep things from binding and causing damage.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

I use 4wd occasionally but only on short trips. T-case uses Atf? I always thought gear oil.. thanks forthe tech tip. Im sure the roads will be bad. I am headin into the county so im sure they wont be plowed. The plowing budget didnt take in account for all this snow so they hae major cut back on routes and salt.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dontdodgeitramit

I use 4wd occasionally but only on short trips. T-case uses Atf? I always thought gear oil.. thanks forthe tech tip. Im sure the roads will be bad. I am headin into the county so im sure they wont be plowed. The plowing budget didnt take in account for all this snow so they hae major cut back on routes and salt.
I think some people do use gear oil. ATF +4 is just what Dodge recommends...that's what I use. I think you'd be okay as long as your seal doesn't go bad...then you could get gear oil into your tranny and that wouldn't be good.[:@]

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

Okay.. Im gonna head over to my local stealership and make sure there is no additive or anything. I use only mopar replacement parts and fluids. It came with those fluids might as well keep it that way. Is there a synthetic ATF? I am a snythetic guy.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dontdodgeitramit

Okay.. Im gonna head over to my local stealership and make sure there is no additive or anything. I use only mopar replacement parts and fluids. It came with those fluids might as well keep it that way. Is there a synthetic ATF? I am a snythetic guy.
Yeah, there are synthetics out there. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and others... Not sure if the Mopar ATF +4 is full synthetic or not... You can pick up Mopar ATF +4 at most Wal-Marts for about $5/qt after taxes. You could easily just drain it and do the refill yourself...and not pay the stealership... All you need is 10mm hex wrench, a squeeze bottle, and some fluid. You can also buy a quart of cheapo fluid to use to flush it out after it drains, then refill it with the Mopar.

EDIT: You don't need to put any additives in the t-case, if that's what you were talking about...just the fluid.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

Yea I do all my own work. Excpet for when the rearend had its issues. I just use mopar replacement parts. Then I cant blame anything else when it brakes. Alright I think i will tackle the fluid today. Tnks for the tip.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

[sm=deal.gif]

Quick Reply: Winter Storm.. 12+ inches forcasted.. transfercase..