2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door spring compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
bigth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door spring compressor?

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4 and the door spring that holds the door open so it doesn't close on you fell out. Do they make a spring compressor to get it back in? Or does anybody have any tips to getting it back in? Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: door spring compressor?

I had to replace a door a while back. I think all i did was swing the door out farther and put the spring in place and put the end of the door stop back in place now to hold me to it Im sure theres someone who knows for sure but I will check in the mornng and find this thread and let ya know.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Tarner
Professional

LOL!!! Mine popped on on me a couple weeks ago too. I need to replace the bushing that goes in that lever looking thing that rides against the roller. The thing that holds the door in two or three positions so door stays open for you.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about in the hinges? I don't remember a spring other than that when we took my door off.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Tarner
Professional

Yeah I guess that would be the hinge. I'll get a picture up ASAP.

Sorry for thread jacking. But sounds like we have the same dilemma . [:@]

Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Tarner
Professional

The spring that goes here. I guess I'd have to get a new hinge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23855/BE3416CA795346D69F90070613BEFD6B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Dan1071

If you still have the spring, I have changed a few doors before by using 2 good zip ties around opposite ends and compressed the spring in a vise. The zip ties hold the spring compressed until you get into place and once you do, cut the zip ties and its in place. I have had success using this method.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've replaced the hinge but never that spring. I had someone swing my door way to far forward and it put a dent in the door where it hit the fender and then bent that upper hinge. I bought a replacement from the dealer for $85 or so I think but don't quote me on that. Wasn't as bad as I expected. With 2 people working on it and a 3rd one that helped a few times with unhooking and hooking wires while we were holding the door and stuff like that we got in done in a few hours. The biggest thing I'd recommend is a flexible driver to put the socket on for the bolt you have to take out of the inside. We finally got it out with that but it is what took us the longest. If you need just a spring pm me as I have my old bent hinge I'd sell. That should be complete with the spring. The hinge is just bent so it won't sit flat against the body. You either need to bend it back or scrap it and just use the spring.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Tarner
Professional

Yeah, I still have the spring. Thanks for the offer. I think I'll just get a new hinge since the bushings and roller are shot on this. Thanks for the advise.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah thats probably what I'd do. Like I said the only hard part I found was taking that bolt out from the inside. You cant get a rachet or extension in there even after you get the socket on the bolt. I had to turn the socket length wise to get it through the hold then get my hand through which I could barely do and turn the socket the right way in my hand. Then stick the flexible driver through the glove box. Well, we removed the glove box but through where it was and onto the socket. You have to bend it funny so a extension wont work. It's a bit PITA but we got it done. If we had known the flexible extension trick at first it would have gone faster rather than trying to make a small rachet or rachet wrech work. We took the door off when we were doing this and left the hinges bolted to the truck then just removed the top hinge.

Quick Reply: door spring compressor?