2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Old Transmission Oil

Don't confuse a flush with a fluid drain/change.

A tranny flush is when the repair shop hooks up a machine and power flushes the whole tranny system. If you've been flushing at regular intervals, there probably won't be much build up to worry about and you can usually continue flushing at regular intervals. If the Tranny has gone a long time over without a change of fluids, you can have build up that the power flush can knock loose and destroy things like the torque converter. In this case it might be best to pull the pan, let the tranny drip drain, clean the magnet in the pan, and change the filter. Then drain and repeat a week later. You can usually drain ~6 quarts each time you pull the pan. insert a drain plug and future drains are a snap.

The other thing to watch out for is how the shop performs a flush. Some shops don't pull the pan and replace filters or clean the magnet that collects small debris. Some flushes flow in a reverse flow of the normal tranny operation and can pull things thru the system that were resting in the tranny filter (it's basically a screen) and really screw things up.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had mine flushed over the summer when my T-case went out. and it had probably 155k miles on it. who know sthe last time it was changed.. since it was enw? anyway not two week after it was flushed did it completely crap out on me and it was back to my tranny guy for a rebuild. it could also have been that it was adodge tranny with a 155k miles. but it wasnt really slipping or anything. so i blame it on the flush!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 AM
MrQuickR1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the "Sea Foam Transmission" stuff I said earlier---> http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneTech.htm

I'm not too sure it's something I want to mess around with.

Also, When I drop the pan and replace the filters and clean the magnet off.....What about the transfer case? Do I leave it alone and after several changes within a couple of weeks will get all the fluids out of there too or do I need to drop the pan on that as well?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MrQuickR1

Here is the "Sea Foam Transmission" stuff I said earlier---> http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneTech.htm

I'm not too sure it's something I want to mess around with.

Also, When I drop the pan and replace the filters and clean the magnet off.....What about the transfer case? Do I leave it alone and after several changes within a couple of weeks will get all the fluids out of there too or do I need to drop the pan on that as well?
The tranfer case and transmssion fluid don't trun together (or at least they're not suppose to, if they are you have a problem) So you'll have to change that seperatly. There's no pan, just a drain plug and a fill plug. I use a gear oil bottle to squirt the fluid into the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Old Transmission Oil