2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help (i'm new)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help (i'm new)

hey everyone, i am new to this so go easy on me. First of all I would like to introduce you to my truck. Bought it in June with about 65,000 miles on it. First let me tell you about her. 3in front 2 in rear lift(July). 36x10.50 Power King Premium Traction Tires(September)I know noone has heard of these, but they will go anywhere a swamper will).New halogens headlights and lenses off ebay(november, great buy only 100 bucks). Dual Exhaust, flowmaster 40(earlier today). that is the exterior. Inside 1 Jl audio sub stealth box, Pioneer premier head unit, mb quarts signature components, and (2) usacoustics amplifiers. Also I swear by amsoil. Everything has been changed. Long list of stuff to do, headache rack with 4 kc dayliters(next). 4.56 gears, Winch bumper, and mile marker hydraulic winch. shift kit, rear bumper, tranny cooler, programmer, intake, rocker arms, spray in bed liner, toolbox. But I have a very limited budget, so i would say within another year or two, and i should be done.
Now for the questions, I get about 12-13 mpg on the highway with out a/c. I have 36 inch tires, and 3.55 gears. Is this good? I would like to maximize my mpg as gas is over 3 bucks?
I am thinking that I have a tranny problem, but not sure. When driving at 60mph(speedo sais 50). With the slightest hill, the tranny downshifts. I know that it is supposed to do this but the hill doesn't have to be very big at all. My dad a certified mechanic, sais that he thinks the gears need to be lower? But when I changed over to ams oil, I found a piece of a snap ring in pan?
Please help

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Default RE: help (i'm new)

also the truck just rolled over to 80,000 miles today. Don't know if anyone needed that

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

3.55 is too low with 36in tires. The trucks tranny will be much happier with the 4.56 gears you mentioned.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Let me start off by saying WELCOME TO THE FORUM, sounds like you have a very nice truck there. Now for the questions, with those 36 big boy tires, im pretty sure most people will agree with me that your putting more stress on your tranny than needed. Should swap out those gears to at the least 4.10, 4.56 would be better. You can reset your comp. to accuratly account for your speed ( dont fully remember how but im sure someone who knows will chim in). Good luck and again welcome

Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
mstephen89
Captain

thanks for replying guys, about how much do you think gears will cost. Also will my mpg go down, or do you think because it will stay in overdrive i will save gas(that is what my dad thinks). Also this is a general question, i uploaded a picture of my truck, but it is not showing up, what is the problem

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
mstephen89
Captain

i think i fixed my pic

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guesstimate $1000 per axle parts and labor. You didn't mention if it was 4X2 or 4X4, but with all the stuff you mentioned I'm guessing 4X4. It's expensive, but you'll enjoy the regained power if you tow or offroad.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
mstephen89
Captain

wow alot of money, how much for just gears, my dad is a mechanic. Also 1 more problem that I have noticed in my truck, just recently with the cold whether. I am from florida so not that cold, but still maybe 50 degrees. In the morning when I worm up my truck, it misses until it warms up. I changed to NGK platinum plugs, but did not fix it. I was going to change the fuel filter, but dodge wants like 200 bucks, and you cannot buy it anywhere else. Do you think the problem is ignition or fuel.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

have you done a tune up on her yet, new cap/rotor and wires to go with the plugs youve already replaced? that might be part of the problem. id do that first, cheap and easy to do

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

If you're Dad is a mechanic and can set up the gears for you then you can probably get bu much cheaper than $1000 per axle. Randy's Ring and Pinion http://www.ringpinion.com/has a very good selection of gears and install kits. Maybe begin by checking there for what you need. As the others are saying, you are overworking your tranny with those tires and 3:55 gears. If you don't do something soon, my guess is that you are going to smoke the tranny.

Regardingthe miss I nbelieve that it is being caused by cap/rotor/wires. WHen installing new wires be sure to cross the #5 and #7 wires at right angles preferably with them not touching each other. Our Magnum engines are notorious for cross firing these two cylinders. Purchase abrass contact cap and rotor and at a minimum 8 mm wires.

The reason the fuel filter is so expensive is that I believe it is part of the fuel pump and both reside in the fuel tank. Our Ram trucks do not have a factory installed fuel filter that is external to the tank.

Good luck and also welcome to the forum.