2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Presure Problems Need Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
stickman66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Presure Problems Need Help Asap

I am brand new to the message board, my truck exhibited same problems as you stated, within the last week, oil pump/sender unit replaced, pressure still drops at stop sign, mechanic said it would take a new motor to fix, I did not agree, it has been getting great gas mileage, not burning any oil, No white/gray smoke from tail pipe, my next plan is to get the oil changed again, disconnect the battery again, and see if it continues, if needed replace oil pressure switch, and may even try and replace thermostat, (my temp gauge has been all over the place the last couple of weeks, but wasnt running hot and had coolant so I didnt think anything about it), also when I had oil pump/sender replaced I had them rear diff gasket replacedbecause it was seeping.

Thanks
RL

97 Ram 1500
3.9 Ltr 6 Cylinder MPI
182,500 good miles

Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

The motor doesn't have to burn oil, for the oil pump, rod and main bearings to be wore THE F*CK OUT

Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

The easiest way that I found to remove the oil pressuresending unitis to remove my air cleaner, cover the throttle body with rags, and lay a cut piece of plywood over the engine. I then lay on it and to the left of the distributor you will find the wiring connected to the oil pressure sending unit. Pull that wire off the unit and using as small a crescent wrench as I can fit I remove the unit by turning counter clockwise.

As somebody else said, use a mechanical gauge to check your pressure and if it is still low, spend the $45 to $65 and replace the oil pump and possible the pickup tube. If the pressure is not low, then replace the sending unit. Use di-electric tune-up grease on the electrical connection before reattaching the wire to the sender. BTW, your CEL will come on because the computer won't be reading any oil pressure due to the gauge being disconnected while using the mechanical gauge. You'll have to re-set the PCM to remove the code when you go back to the electrical factory sender.

If the sender is good but you replace the oil pump and still the problem doesn't go away, then you have some sort of bearing or oil passage problem. An oil passage problem might be cleaned up with one of several remedies. Bearing problems don't clean up, you're talking engine rebuild to solve that problem.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
98RamSport360

Well I went to replace the oil pump this weekendin hopes to solve my problem. I got a high volume oil pump. Drained the pan and took it out just to find a couple of shavings in the pickup tube. After further inspection Iknew exactly what is wrong. The thrust bearing is almost gone in the truck.

So now I have to decide if I want to keep it or let it go. As of nowwe are talking engine rebuild,and the front end needs do be done from the wheelbearings in.

Ray

Quick Reply: Oil Presure Problems Need Help Asap