2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plug Wires--->

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plug Wires--->

Well, since I already had the Autolite 3923's I decided to throw them in today. I'm not doing my full tune for about another 2 weeks, so I figured that would be a decent trial period for the plugs. As of initial start up and about a 10 mile test drive, I have to say I like the results of the 3923's so far. I could tell when I fired her up thatshe was a little smoother, and it showed during acceleration, too. Now I know it is waay too early to be 100% pro-Autolite, but as of now, I like them...especially for about $11.

The ones that were in my truck were Champion 436's. The norm... They looked alright, but all their gaps ranged from about .051 to .055...so now I know that the dealer probablyDID NOT change/regap the plugs before I bought the truck 6 months ago. Seems like I read an article that said on average, you lose about .01 every 10K miles...not sure. But I have only put about 3500 miles on the truck in 6 months...so I know they didn't change the plugs...b*stards.

Anyway, in conclusion, it's too early to decide which plugsI think arebetter, especially after seeing the gaps on the ones that were in there, and the fact that I have never experienced the Champions as a brand new plug. The smoothness could easily be attributed to the fact that I just put brand new plugs in, gapped at .040...regardless of the brand. But, if the Autolites continue to perform as they are now, I will more than likely stick with them, since they are only about $11 for 8, and are available 24/7 at Wally World. I know some of you said the 3923's didn't give you any problems until a couple of months down the road, so we will see what happens...so far so good.

Also, I found it much easier to use a 3" extension and just leave those plug wire shields in place when changing the plugs...I pulled the first two but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I found that the sleeve sort of acts like a guide if you insert the new plug while in the socket, and it helps to get it straight and avoid cross threading.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Anyone know anything about the Champion 3436's? Advance told me they couldn't get the truck plugs but recommended these. Napa had to order the truck plugs but I would have had them here in time for when I wanted to put them in anyway. I bought the 3436's but should I take them back and go order the truck plugs or are they better? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

According to Summit the differences I see are that the one I got doesn't have a resistor where as the 4436 does and the electrode tip material is platinum instead of copper. Does this make a difference? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Plug Wires--->