2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plug Wires--->

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plug Wires--->

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Autolites are great for F
What do you mean by that?

Alright guys, seriously,I gotta figure something out. One says Champion, one says Autolites...and I don't want to waste my $11 I paid for the Autolites by having to get Champions later on in life.

Here's my truck:

2001 5.9L
Death Flash
CAI
No more mods...

What plug? Am I gonna have to try and see what happens?[]

Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 AM
MossyOak99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Champion Truck Plugs. They run great in my truck. That is the only thing that I run. I had the same debate as you had when I was choosing plugs for the first change that I did. You will find that there are a lot of posts on here with many people going both ways(between Autolites and Champions).Spark plugs are mass produced so there will always be a few that makeit through that will not last as long as expected. I say if you have already spent the money on the Autolites just go ahead and use them. When your doing the moveyou will be able to tell how well they work. If they are not performing to your expectations then you can always change them out later on down the road.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 AM
ozyran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Napa cap and I'm running MSD Super Conductor wires.

Let me tell you, every time I've installed MSD SC wires, I've had great results. I've installed them on a '99 Neon, a '97 Tacoma RCSB 4-cyl; and y 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. All 3 vehicles showed great response to the wires - as long as everything else was in good tune.

So, even though they're more expensive, I say go with the MSD. You know, there IS an old saying....a fool and his money...

J/K [sm=lol.gif]

You get what you pay for. MSD SC wires come with a 5-year warranty and will probably last longer than 2 or 3 sets of Jegs/Bosch/other brand wires.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ram2K1

Autolites are great for F
What do you mean by that?
Fords come with Autolites in them and Dodges come with Champions. Thats just how the factory does it and each brand seems to run best with what comes in it. Just like Hondas. They come with NGK's and I've yet to see anything that works better than the NGK's in mine. I had a buddy that worked at Advance and he told me the same thing. He told me that he saw Autolites in Dodges that fouled about once a month that they just wont last. He gave me his list of what he would put in what car and he also said he recommended the Champions for a Dodge.

If I tried anything different it would probably be NGK plugs as I've liked them a lot in everything I've run but I've never tried them in the Dodge so idk how they would be.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Thanks guys...decisions, decisions...[:@]

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The autolites made my truck run rough after a month or two. I'd take them back and get Champions. Autolites are great for F but Dodges seem to like Champions.
I just installed Autolites a couple of weeks ago. My truck runs rough, I have a misfire on #3, and my mileage is sucking. The Champions are going back this coming weekend.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

The autolites made my truck run rough after a month or two. I'd take them back and get Champions. Autolites are great for F but Dodges seem to like Champions.
I just installed Autolites a couple of weeks ago. My truck runs rough, I have a misfire on #3, and my mileage is sucking. The Champions are going back this coming weekend.
Sounds like you are having the problem I did. Mine acted kind of like a misfire when I had autolites but it never through a code and I'm not sure if it was a full on misfire or not but it would shake at idle like a miss and make a ticking noise. Just ran rough.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Some people however seem to love the Autolites so I don't know what to tell you. Just that I didn't like them.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Jr. Mechanic: You just sold me my plug wires! I love the red and black and I love the price.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking at these Jegs wires as well. I take it they have plug wire holders as well?

Quick Reply: Plug Wires--->