2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Putting the distributor back on right

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Putting the distributor back on right

Because I am taking my intake off to do my plenum and kegger mod.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing the same thing and changing the cap/rotor. Haven't heard of anyone changing the distributor but its not a bad idea. while your there, but by no means does it need to be done.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you can pull the intake with the distrib still in there? Just take the housing and rotor off i guess. I just thought the distrib needed to be pulled out when the intake comes off.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My intake is off right now my distributor is still on. I think if you look at silvers DIY you can see his on. I could put a picture up. You don't have to touch the distributor, in fact my cap and wires are still on.

Thankfully its not that hard of a job. Alos its much easier to get at the distributor once the intake is off.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CPTAFW163

No, they don't need to take the TC off to do the plenum. But since the water pump is attached to the TC cover, I think they might add2-3 hours to the total labor time. Because theymight change the main sealswhen they remove the oil pan (need to take off oil panwhen you take the TC cover off).

If I were you, i would not take yours in, and buy topols with the money in labor you will save. The shop will charge 150 for a gasket kit (that they won't use all the gaskets for). As far as labor....look at paying about 6-800 depending on hourly rate. ALSO, a shop will say they installed a double roller, when they will probably replace the stock one you have with another stock one that costs twice as much as an aftermarket with timing advance/retard. my timing chain costs 5 dollars. Shops will always take the more expensive part because they get 20% off the price from the supplier but charge you the full price. Thats how they make a living. Also, if it only takes them 4 hours to do a job that says 8 hours on he computer...you get charged the 8 hours from their computer. Same goes if it takes them 10 hours to do an 8 hour job...they will only charge you 8 hours.

One of my good friends is a mechanic and he was able toget paid50 hours a week when he only worked 40. THats how they make their money...they need to be fast and do good work.
I have a pretty large set of tools already I just don't think I can tackle this job by myself as I've never messed with half the stuff you have to do. I've ordered the APS kit and already talked to a shop about doing it. I know the shop wont rip me off as it's a bunch of good guys working there. I know this because I used to work there myself and although it's not as cheap as doing it yourself I know it's done right as the guy I get to do the work is one of the best mechanics I've seen. He is good and fairly resonable. I get him to do stuff when I don't think I will be able to tackle it.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You DO NOT need to touch the distributor to do the Plenum fix, but you may want to remove the distributor CAP and rotor. The cap only goes on one way (one screw set is square, the other is round) and won't turn and affect your timing.

Quick Reply: Putting the distributor back on right