2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!Overhead console blues revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUSLY?!?!?!Overhead console blues revisited...

I bought a trip computer overhead console on ebay. Last monday, I called the dealership, told them I was upgrading, and stated that I needed the pigtail to go from the harness to the truck. "Right here it is, for $42", I was told, but lo and behold I went to pick it up and it was to re-wire the console.They said "oh, well you're gonna have to rewire the entire cab, here's the harness, will that be cash or card?" I have ripped my headliner out to install cab lights, and looked around hoping it was wired and the plug was just unused, but to no avail. I know they're out there, but where? WHERE?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 PM
AAA4948
Default RE: SERIOUSLY?!?!?!Overhead console blues revisited...

If I understand you correctly, your truck did NOT have the computer console in your truck and you want to wire up one that you recently purchased.

My truck didn't come with the console either. My sunglass storage compartment broke and I went to the junk yard and got the whole console with the trip computer for $40 as it was the only console that they had. I got home and put it in and figured I would look into how to wire it up.

Back in the day, there were stories from several owners who had the unit go out under warranty. The warranty covered these units, but it was over $1,100 in labor alone (done courtesy of Chrysler). First thing, if you're missing the harness, it's a bear to tackle (or so I've read). It requires removing the headliner and A-pillar cover (which it sounds like you've done) and then the dash needs to be lowered which I believe is listed as a 10 hour job by itself (that is probably removal, but figure you and I aren't professional mechanics and we'll take a little longer than average). The next thing you'll need is the supplementary computer that goes under the dash. That's right, there is another computer that goes under the dash if you have the newer interior that uses the console that also calculates fuel economy. If you're doing the old school console in the old interior, you mught be lucky enough to get by without this. If you need the computer, they are year specific to vehicle and, again from what I've read, rarely work when picked up from a junk yard unless you're very lucky to get the exact match. Most people who have attempted this install seem to go right to the dealership and spend a couple hundred bucks buying the computer. If you don't have the console with the fuel economy computer, you still need a temperature sensor (btw, I don't know if the non-fuel economy console will work without the supplementary computer). You can probably get a temperature sensor at the junkyard for $5, but they are very different for year and vehicle package. The old trucks were on one fender, the new trucks on the other, the sports were behind the bumper, the 97s had different locations, and same with the 98s. I've heard that as simple as this part may sound, it still presents many issues. One install I read ordered an aftermaket temperature sensor and made their own wiring setup to make it work, but then it was fairly inaccurate.

Well, that's as much as I know about it. If the above paragraph sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, then it accurately portrays my knowledge of putting one of these consoles in; I've never done it. I read for about an hour from several different threads. I also read some rumors about guys getting lucky and having the harnesses in place and just having to plug the console in (sounds like you and I aren't so fortunate). I wish you the best of luck and if you do manage to get the console to work, let me know. From what I've found, it's not worth the hassle.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

It's a 99 Ram Sport, so I don't know if that qualifies as the old interior. I do want the fuel economy; however, as it is now I don't even have front courtesy lights. I would have never had bought this if I'd have known this; the dakota console I installed was a simple harness, so I thought this would be similar...... Can someone help me make this work?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

If anyone knows about this, I cant just waste the $100 the new console cost... Please help...

Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
SoCal_Ram

How did your install go? I'm thinking about putting the new trip computer with temp sensor in my 99 Sport as well.

Quick Reply: SERIOUSLY?!?!?!Overhead console blues revisited...