2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converter unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
night_caper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter unlocking

Hi guys,

Just recently, my truck has been unlocking the torque converter at highway speed. About two years ago, I had the transmission govenor solenoid andthe pressure sensor transducer replaced.

It happens way more often when the cruise control is engaged. I decided to lightly rest my foot on the throttle, and I believe I found a pattern.I seem to be able to mimic the behaviour without the cruise,ifI lightly lean into the throttle, then back off quickly, the torque converter unlocks. The cruise seems to be on lightly, then backs off quickly, then back on the throttle.

Could this be the TPS (throttle position sensor), or do you think it's the above mentioned parts again? Is there any other way I can narrow the culprit down? I am not sure what the "correct" behaviour is for the cruise control. Besides this, the tranny seems to drive fine, without any other nasty things that happened when the TGS and PST went ...

Thanks,
-Dee

Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
night_caper
Default RE: torque converter unlocking

Just as an update, this morning was very damp out, and this thing acted up like crazy for the first 10 minutes of the drive, cruise or not ... after that, it calmed right down. I does it in 3rd or 4th gear.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:03 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

The cheapest way to go is swap out your TPS. A very common problem on Rams. Reset your computer after swapping it out.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

Brake switch or TPS are very common.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
night_caper

Cool guys, I'll give it a whirl and report back, thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
owens2500
Rookie

what happens if u dont reset ur computer when u change tps i changed mine last week but didnt reset my computer what could this do if u dont? and how do u reset it after u take the cable off is there anything else ya gotta do?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:07 PM
night_caper

It was the TPS, easy replacement (forgot to reset the computer though, but all works).

To owens2500: Just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, and reconnect. That will reset the computer.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 PM
dodgetek78

Another thing to try if TPS doesn't fix problem. Hold your foot under your brake pedal and lift upward while its acting up. If your brake switch is the culprit, then this usually temporarily eliminates the problem. Just another easy test. Good luck.

Quick Reply: torque converter unlocking