2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't start! Relay box photo/suspect relay stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 PM
mtbnathan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start! Relay box photo/suspect relay stolen?

HI! Working on a truck that has been sitting. The battery was stolen and it appears a relay in the engine compartment relay box may have also been stolen.

I replaced the starter and put in a brand new battery. Lights all come up, but the starter does nothing, nothing. NO sound at all; no sign that the starter is getting juice.

COULD IT BE A NEEDED RELAY IS MISSING OR FAULTY?

1998 V6 1500 2WD Short box.

A WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE RELAY BOX AS IT SHOULD BE SO I CAN SEE IF I AM MISSING SOME IMPORTANT RELAY.

Thanks!

-Nathan

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Won't start! Relay box photo/suspect relay stolen?

Auto or stick? Should be in Park or Nuetral to start if an auto... clutch has to be in if it is a manual.

The starter relay should be labeled in the PDC (Which is that block box next to the battery). You should see a screw that holds a connector donw with a bunch of wires going into a square connector. The starter relay should beon the back row (closest to the cab) and two relay locations towards the driver side of the truck (if starting at the group of wires mentioned above).

Next step would be to check for power to the starter from the battery (the constant 12V). If that is present, then check to see if you are getting power to the solenoid when the key is turned...

Good luck,
Cartman

Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It could also be the ignition switch.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
mtbnathan

The truck is AUTO. My hunch was right: some stole the "starter relay" from the power distribution center in the engine compartment.

So, I'm starting a new thread:

Where can I find a used STARTER RELAY or where can I find a good deal? Found just one site, so far online with the part: $35.20 plus 7.50 for ship.

THANKS!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Should have searched around.. have a subject over this not to long ago. Here is the box for my 99 Dodge Ram 1500

After the guy broke into my truck and crossed some wires (dumbass) the "50amp ignition run/acc" was blown and some lights were coming on.. but it wouldnt turn over.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap over the A/C relay for now.
The relay is nothing special. Its a standard Bosch style relay. 30 amp capacity I believe.

Quick Reply: Won't start! Relay box photo/suspect relay stolen?