2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Trade IN
8.33%
Sell Private
91.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Trade in or Sell Private

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Dtruck96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in or Sell Private

Well I have been kicking around the idea lately that I would like to buy a new truck. It has been 9 years since I have bought myself a new one and I figured I was due. I have put a lot of work into my truck and would like to see some kind of return. When I say work, I mean I have been meticulous with the up keep. I do have some mods but nothing that is permanant. I know that you never truly get back what you put in but at the same time I dont want to get taken to cleaners by the dealership. It would be nice if I could sell it on my own to someone who knows what they are looking at.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
wildwolf59
Professional
Default RE: Trade in or Sell Private

You definitely want to sell it outright if you can because you wont get what you really deserve from the stealership.It may take a litlle time but it will be worth it to sell it on your own.If you go trade it in u have to try to get them talked down on the new truck and also try to get the most out of yours when you can just sell it outright and only have to negotiate the price of the new truck....they do not want to give you what the truck is worth when you trade it in with them! And if you could find one, a vehicle that has five or ten thousand miles on it would be a better price than the brand new one with 0 miles...you lose thousands as soon as you drive it off the lot because you cant get that much back out of it if you went to sell it for some reason!!!....so in my opinion and experience i always sell outright and never buy brand new!!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling privately generally gets you more $ but trading it in saves you thetime and effort of selling.
When you go to negotiate the new truck don't mention your possible trade until after you have negotiated the price of the new.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:21 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles you got on it

Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Dtruck96
Professional

It has 103,000. 9,000 of those have been put on since May. I moved from Alaska to South Carolina.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Around here, you'd be lucky to get 8 for a trade in. Check private party and see what they are going for, but around here the prices of 2nd gen Rams have dropped quite a bit over the last six months.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie

I would try e-bay to sell it outright quick...I've sold my last 3 vehicles on there...try it see what happens even if it's not what you want out of it you don't have to sell it just set a reserve.

Quick Reply: Trade in or Sell Private