2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram /w 318 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 AM
dishdude2k
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Ram /w 318 will not start

by the way.. is the check engine light on?? this would be the FIRST thing to check.. if so.. u need to get the codes.. again.. harbor freight has a cheap basic tester for 20 bucks.. it plugs in.. turn on the key.. and hit read on the code reader.. are your plugs gapped correctly?? if its been a moons age sice you had a tune up.. it could be fouled up plugs.. another thing.. at night.. with no lights on outside at all.. look under the hood.. and have someone crank the truck.. do you see any arcing at all? if so.. replace the plug wires... theres alot of things it could be at this point.. coming off of the throttle body there is a throttle position sensor.. take it OFF of the throttle body (3 torx screws) ... and clean it with brake parts cleaner.. it is a common issue .. being that you DO have spark.. i would say its more than likely NOT the cam position sensor.. i would look other ways..

Old 02-16-2008, 12:47 PM
claudero

I will try these today and will post the updated. Yes I did check for fuses but I don't have a fuel pressure gauge ... yet. As far as codes no I dont have any except when I took out the fuel pump relay I had a 1282 but after putting it back, resetting the computer cleared it. I dont have a code scanner but used the on-off-on-off-on trick to read it. Since I bought a distributor cap, rotor and plug wires I will replace those too. I will do these one at a time to help finding out the real culprit Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

When My Rammie didn't start I too had spark, gas, battery power, but no start up. The mechanic found the plugs fouled beyond recognition

Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

Claudero, when you find out what it was please come back and post your findings.
So as to pass it along.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 AM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

Just because you see a spark when doing a test of the coil does not mean the coil is good. The coil went out on my 94 Ram and it still showed spark. You need to check it with a multimeter. A Haynes guide or the dealer should be able to give you the specs.

You may have a bad cam sensor in the distributor. There is also a multimeter check for it that will be in the Haynes Guide.

You might try trickeling a small amount of fuel down the throat of the intake. If your fuel pump is week it won't pop the injectors on start-up but with a small amount of fuel the injectors will pop and the truck will run.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram /w 318 will not start