2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 AM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas

This is going in a 98 1500 Quad-Cab
I have recently bought an Fi Q 12" subwoofer specs for the Q 12"
Link: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

Ive got an Alpine CDA-9885 HU with a pair of component Alpine SPX 17-ref 6 1/2 for the front stage along with the dome tweeters and a PDX 2.150 Alpine amp. Im also getting a Kicker ZX1000.1 to power the subwoofer.

Ive looked all over at places near me that do "Custom fit" stuff but they want to charge me 600 bucks. Have any of you installed a 12" sub with a sealed box? i dont wanna go ported cause i know i wont have enough room without taking up all of the backseat, but i am hopeing ill be able to fit a sealed box in there. Any ideas recomendations or DIY's from someone that has done it before?
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 AM
nolazach
Veteran
Default RE: Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas

I have two 10"s under the rear seat. I paid like $60 for the box.

There is a really neat box that replaces the middle console too. I think it can handle up to a 15"

this is the one I have or similar.
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/dodge210/sbox/p72920.html
this fits 12"s

http://musicmooseaudio.com/dodge_ram_truck_d01ff.html

this is my favorite, and no one would guess its a box.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MQUjllp...spx?I=13694087

this one not as much but it may hold bigger speakers.
http://www.audioboxesonline.com/Dodg...CS_p_1-47.html

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a normal box that takes up the back seat for my 2 12"s. I wish I could get one of those things cheap that go under the seat though. My only concern about it is right now under my seat is full of stuff and I don't know where I would put it if I had to put my subs under there. I hardly ever use my backseat though.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

this is the one I have or similar.
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/dodge210/sbox/p72920.html
this fits 12"s

http://musicmooseaudio.com/dodge_ram_truck_d01ff.html

this is my favorite, and no one would guess its a box.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MQUjllp...spx?I=13694087

this one not as much but it may hold bigger speakers.
http://www.audioboxesonline.com/Dodg...CS_p_1-47.html
First one is a pos it's made out of particle board it'll fall apart. Second one looks decent but how much of an incline does the seat have to sit at to fit a 12? I know i barely have 10" from ground to the bottom of my seat in the back. Stealthbox is obviously insane, but the price is a little ridiculous. Last box i would stay away from. I have a bench seat straight across the back, in the picture, the middle seat is in further than the side seats. And if you look at the pictures, the box shown in the truck is a lot bigger than the three pictures of the box not in the truck.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
nolazach
Veteran

First one is a pos it's made out of particle board it'll fall apart.
To be honest after over two years its still doing fine, sounds great and I can still ride people in the back.

I wanted a fiberglass one, but really the price is really good.

I have seen the console box for around $100, Crutchfield is expensive as hell. Plus it comes with a Jl w3.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
ron333
Captain

I have seen the console box for around $100, Crutchfield is expensive as hell. Plus it comes with a Jl w3.
What's wrong with the JL W3? I am thinking about getting one of these stealthboxes with that speaker, but if it isn't a great speaker, I won't. I am going to be saving pennies for a while for it, so it better be good. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

heres some shots of the box I just finished building and installing in my 98 QC. It holds two Kicker C12s, A Kicker ZX300.1 Amp and a Deisel Audio 1.5 Farad capacitor.

only thing i have left to do on it is make some seat mounts as i had to raise the seat about an inch to clear the box. Also realized I haven't taken any pics since i finished putting all the trim back on so I will go do that now and post em up in a few

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
ron333
Captain

Very nice. I can't wait for the final review on how it sounds. I don't have the patience to build anything right now, but I want to have the subs out of the way, so under the front seat or the rear seat is what I will be after. As I posted a few minutes ago, I am thinking about the 12" JL Stealthbox for the front. Does anyone have the twin 10" MTX Thunderforms under the rear seat that they can share their likes / dislikes about them? The same goes for the 12" JL Stealthbox. Any input on either of these setups would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
nolazach
Veteran

jl's are great speakers, a lil pricey.

That is why the bos is so much.

You could find one for alot less. I just rushed last night and found those four links. I know there are deals out there.

I have my Amp under one seat, power distrubution under the middle console and a 2000 wat inverter under the other seat.

I want to build a custom console and throw a computer in. Thats like way back in my plans though.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

well I gotta say I am thrilled with the way my set up sounds. I have an inexspensive JVC deck with full iPod integration, a pair of Pioneer 4 way 6x9s in the front doors, a pair of 5.25" Eclipse speakers in the rear doors running off a 400 watt 4 channel Clarion Amp. Also i still have the stock rear door speakers running off the head unit and I removed the factory amps from the stock 6x9s and re wired them in so the stock a frame tweeters still run off the head unit. I have the subs wired in Parallell running off the Kicker Amp. Power from the battery comes thru some 4 gauge Monster Cable thru a Tsunami fuse holder back to a Rockford Fosgate 3 way distribution block. From there 8 gauge power cables run to both amps and the capacitor. I added a kill switch to the sub amp remote wire so i can kill the subs if i need to (cops). also the sub box has Ram head windows cut out of the front backed with lexan and are lit by two 12" red neon tubes inside the sub box. Also as you can see i fashioned a ram head that is 3 dimensional on the front of the box as well. Anyway heres the finished pics. I also got bored and decided to paint some other ram head logos in on the kick panels and the seat mount covers. I should mention i had to trim those seat bracket covers to get them to fit right after the box was installed. It really does sound fantastic!
and i agree with the time thing, it took me the better part of a month to build working on it one or two days a week.

Heres the switches. finally decided to mount them on the dash to the left of the steering column.

and heres the passenger side kick panel i painted. Found a ram head logo thru google image search I liked, printed it the size i wanted. I covered the kick panel with masking tape then placed my printed image over it and traced the outline with an X-acto knife, essentially cutting out the logo thru the tape. then i peeled the tape off leaving the ram head logo in place and sprayed the panel with black duplicolor plastic coat paint.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas