2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Temp Instrument Cluster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 AM
ryen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp Instrument Cluster Problem

[align=left]I have a 97 RAM 1500 v8 and recently the gauge for the the engine temp stoped working. It sets all the way to the left (0). Has anybody had this issue or have any idea what the problem could be? I was thinking the sensor went out, can anyone tell me where the sensor is located?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thanks[/align]

Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
ryen
Default RE: Engine Temp Instrument Cluster Problem

Any ideas?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On some '97s, there are two sensors (one for the gauge cluster, one for the PCM), others had only one that served both purposes. ECT's (Engine Coolant Temp sensors) are located on the front of the intake manifold. If you have only one sensor, it will be to the left of the thermostat housing, and it will have two wires going to it. If you have two sensors, one will be to the left, and one to the right of the thermostat housing. I beleive the one on the right is the one for the gauge cluster.

They are a bugger to reach. You will need to remove the ac compressor, and maybe even the accessroy bracket (which means the altenator too). You will likely need to drain some coolant too because it sits right in a coolant jacket, and will likely leak out a bunch if you try to just unscrew it directly out. It isn't diffiuclt or anything, just not a quick job. There is probably a way to test them first to see if they are good or not before you remove them.

Here is some pictures for you to help locate them. Click to enlarge the pictures, I drew arrows to point to them. I have a plug in the second sensor location in the second picture, but if you had a sensor there, it would look just like basically like the one on the other side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/45899A9308E143D7BB74944C31A0D962.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/109E863556E84C11AB9A26AFE896B5C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2008, 02:19 PM
ryen

Thanks! I can take it in but they want $75 for the Diagnostic [sm=smiley24.gif]

Quick Reply: Engine Temp Instrument Cluster Problem