2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shopped looked at Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopped looked at Tranny

I took the ram to a shop today, had them run a diagnostic on my truck and they said they need to open it up to get a good idea of what's goin on, but they ballpark it's an OD Drum gone bad. Ballpark estimate was over 1500, but the guy called me back later and said he can give me a better price (under 1000) for everything. Any comments on that? If I can get this thing fixed up ready to go in time for my trip under 1k, I think that's a steal considering it's an automatic transmission issue.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shopped looked at Tranny

Once I started having transmission issues I tried to fix the issues it had only to have more show up shortly after. If I had to do it again I wouldn't dump money into fixxing it I'd go for a complete rebuild or a new transmission. Your case may be different than mine just telling you how I feel about how mine went.

I'd call Wanye at APS. He seems great about when it comes to them although his are a lot more than that.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah, these guys are respected and they focus on transmission, so he said if it is more than what he thinks it is, he'll just install a rebuilt one fresh. I also had him explain what he thinks it is and why, and he didn't hesitate to answer and break it down. I liked that. Also once I was turned down for a loan to pay it off, he didnt try to push the issue, but he did call me later with that offer.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

my rebuild with heavy duty TQ and transgo shiftkit (think thats what its called) is about $2450 w/tx included.
i should be getting it back saturday afternoon.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I thought you were trading your truck in without rebuilding it? I love my APS one although they are even more expensive than that.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I thought you were trading your truck in without rebuilding it? I love my APS one although they are even more expensive than that.
still debating... on trading it in. but want to see how it is after the rebuild.
if i can squeeze 2yrs out of it, I can get a brandy new truck. my wifes car will be paid off then, and its my turn to geta new truck.

I still worry that i could be in for another major expense.

I am just sick of car repair bills. my vw is up to $1300 now... and they still can't figure it out. I told them to send it to a vw dealer and eat the cost against the 1300. they did... i am shocked... still waiting on that. thank goodness it was around tax refund and work bonus time... i would be lighting them both on fire for heat.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

Turns out I'll be sellin my nova for 700 bucks, which will leave me with 285, and i should be gettin 100 back from my tag because of a dealer screw up, so just gotta find 185, which should come from my last paycheck. Then I file my tax and stay broke until I get the return and start over, in gold ol West Virginia lol.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

I was taking a look at thefastman.com website and I've noticed a few things. They've got totally rebuilt trannies for up to 750HP for around $1500. I'm thinkin that that aint bad if one was in need of something that would last them a while.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

If I had the cash, I would def. get a new rebuilt one, but for 985.00 including labor, I can't beat it. The guys are good and offer a warranty, though it wouldnt mean much considering I'm moving to west virginia, and i've only seen shops here in florida.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

I just checked thefastman.com and their trannies are 1700 + 700 core. I've never bought anything with a core charge, so how does that process work, especially online? I'm more directly interested in the 52mm TB.

Quick Reply: Shopped looked at Tranny