2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head liner remove help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
BRETTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head liner remove help needed

2001 ram ext. cab... , i want to pull the headliner to install my cab light. my question is how do the hooks ( jacket hanger hooks ) come off in the back????????? it feels like you can rip them right off and well i break enough as it is, thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran
Default RE: Head liner remove help needed

The iner portion i beleive slides down and it falls right out. You can use a small knife to slide it down.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM
BRETTM

thanks but i looked at it and i'm still clueless at this point. any other help would be great.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
zique
Captain

could you snap a picture of the hooks or is it still too tight up there to see?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the hook itself is actually 2 sliding pieces as Zep decribes, but they are meant to stay together as a single unit.

The part that faces you (the underside) is pushed into the headliner and clicks in when it locks into the other piece (the part that the clothes hook would actually touch). When it's installed it doesn't appear to be 2 pieces. I believe it is designed to not come out without breaking so that it will actually hold your clothes. you can try pulling straight back on the outer (under) peice to see if it will unlock, but don't be suprised if it all comes out.

If it all comes out and doesn't appear broken there is a pinch clip mechanism that needs to be depressed in the portion that stays in the head liner, simply push it in on both sides of the pinch clip and slide the two larger pieces apart, kind of like pulling the slide on a semiauto pistol. These parts must be on the "open" position when you attenpt to reinsert the hook, or you'll just grunt and swear as you try to push the hook into the head liner hole.

I purchased a new from the dealership for $6.71 at the parts counter, that might be the easiest route.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
bozzoswald

center of the holder needs to be pulled down {pocket screwdriver}

Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done a headliner on my Dakota and on a Caravan. I was too cheap (thrifty) to pay 400 (why is everything 400) to have someone else do it.

Your first mistake is that you are not doing it in July like a real man. Second go slow. When you get back your headliner your holes will be missing so make a quick drawing of where everything goes. You will need to remake these holes so again, go slow. I found going through the back the through the front with an small awl was good enough to get the hole started, the screw did the rest.

My best advice is that you ask the guys who put these in all the time how to get it going, and how to take stuff off. That Caravan liner was SO long that it actually cracked(them-not me). When I asked the guy about it, he said it is okay and would be fine. It was. Once it was up you could not tell. Man, you can't believe the improvement a new headliner makes to your truck. I think the dakota cost 60 and the Carvan cost 144 just to have covered. I did not do the visors.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing...for thelarger screws make largerholes with your awl, or you will cause the fabric to follow the screw and twist up. Go slow.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
swirvin21

SUPPOSEDLY the headliner in your year truck cannot be removed without removing the rear glass....which if you have the sliding one doesn't like to go back in and usually has to be replaced. Happened to my truck the last time it was in the body shop...had to get a new window. [:@] You may be able to swing it though by coming in through the front. Just be sure if you bent your headliner to wet it down with some warm water so the creases won't stay as bad. Maybe even use a hair dryer after wards to push back out the creases.
[align=left] [/align][/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
BRETTM

thanks for the input everyone.... i did not look real close by the rear window but i will be checking that 1st. i'm doing cab lights onmy ram and was hoping to make it a easy job but like everything else it won't be.... thanks again

Quick Reply: Head liner remove help needed