2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The shakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:17 PM
xskylinedx
|
Record Breaker
Default The shakes

I was in some semi-deep loose snow today (about 8 -10 inches), with the truck in 4 wheel drive, and when I hit the gas the whole truck would start jumping and shaking violently. I think it was the front end diverting power from the left to right that caused it but I'm not sure. Anyone else experience this? When it happens I have to get off the gas, it really slams the crap out of the truck. If I'm on the right track, would a selectable locker for the front end solve my issue?

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:29 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Default RE: The shakes

Sounds like a transfer case or tranny problem to me.

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:29 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Last time I was out mudding, I the truck was shaking. Idk if were talking about the same thing, but it felt like I had severe body flex between the cab and the bed. I was trying to get un stuck in 4wd and it would just start hoppin away. Idk if that is good or not, but eventually my powersteering pump went and that was the end of that. Your talking about the power ossicilating (sp) from left and right wheel with your open differential. Yea idk man. If you wanna drop a grand on a selectable, by all means have at it. Idk if it will fix the shaking issue tho.

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:36 PM
xskylinedx
|
Record Breaker

It only does it under very low traction coupled me putting a heavy load on the driveline with throttle increase. It hops real bad, but only when the truck is really digging for traction. I don't even know if it is power ossilation or not. I asked about the locker because its something I really want to do within the next 5 or 6 months, but if I have another problem that needs attention I'll have to put the money there instead.

When you fixed the power steering pump did it go away?

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:59 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

My shaking only happened when I was on the throttle after I got stuck. I was shimmy'n my wheel back and fourth and the powersteering locked up. But before that happened, the truck would like hop when in 4lo and the rpms were built up a little. I figured it was because i was in a downhill position with no weight in the back of the bed. Just hopping around but it did feel pretty bad and between the cab and bed seemed to be the flex point. Eventually the pump shaft sheared off on the inside and I gave up. Had my bud hook on to my bumper and drove to his house.

- - - Edit

You said yours only did it when it was digging for traction. That was the only time mine did it. She drives down the road fine, but I have two open diffs (rear is getting an lsd this summer.. Thank you rebate check!) but it could be just that and nothing to worry about. I havent had a problem since.

Quick Reply: The shakes