2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question About Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Slomojo01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Oil Pressure

Something happened a while ago to my truck and now it seems that unless I'm cruising my oil pressure is between 20-30lbs. When cruising I have 50-70lbs of pressure and there seems to be alot of chattering sound, maybe from the valve train?, coming from the exhaust.

When I changed my oil and added some of that Lucas Oil Stabilizer at a ratio of 4:1 or 20%, the sound went away. After a short while the sound came back and after only a few hundred miles my oil is very black. Nothing other than that as the symptoms to my problem.

Prognosis anyone?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Slomojo01
Professional
Default RE: Question About Oil Pressure

O yeah, my plan was to pull the heads and start there, could possibly be looking in the wrong place? Suggestions welcome.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I'd recommendusing a automotive stethoscope first to attempt diagnosing the problem without taking anything apart. Touch the stethoscope to the valve cover aboveeach rocker armwhile the engine is running. If the problem is in the valve train you should hear an area which sounds similar to the chatter you describe. If you don't hear anything touch the exhaust manifoldand the intalke manifold at each port. On the intake manifold you may hear the fuel injectors cycling also so don't confuse the sounds. Touch the fuel injectors to identify what they sound like so you know. If still no determination, climb under the truck and do the same exploration around the oil pan,

If you still are not sure and still think it is the valve train, you can pull the valve covers and with the engine running touch each rocker arm bolt. You'll be able to tell the difference if the problem is there. Just pull one valve cover at a time and don't run the engine long as oil will get on your exhaust manifold. Hope this helps. I bought my stethoscope through Summit Racing awhile back, but I am sure Napa or one of the other parts stores has inexpensive ones also.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

I'd recommendusing a automotive stethoscope first to attempt diagnosing the problem without taking anything apart. Touch the stethoscope to the valve cover aboveeach rocker armwhile the engine is running. If the problem is in the valve train you should hear an area which sounds similar to the chatter you describe. If you don't hear anything touch the exhaust manifoldand the intalke manifold at each port. On the intake manifold you may hear the fuel injectors cycling also so don't confuse the sounds. Touch the fuel injectors to identify what they sound like so you know. If still no determination, climb under the truck and do the same exploration around the oil pan,

If you still are not sure and still think it is the valve train, you can pull the valve covers and with the engine running touch each rocker arm bolt. You'll be able to tell the difference if the problem is there. Just pull one valve cover at a time and don't run the engine long as oil will get on your exhaust manifold. Hope this helps. I bought my stethoscope through Summit Racing awhile back, but I am sure Napa or one of the other parts stores has inexpensive ones also.

If you go ahead with the second part of that .... DO NOT, DO NOT , DO NOT put a towel over the exhaust and leave it there. When you take the valve cover off with the motor running the oil will get on the exhaust so you put a towel over top. SOAK THE TOWEL FIRST. If you dont use a towel you really wont be able to see through the smoke from the oil on the exhaust.

50-70psi while crusing? That seems a little high sure its not in kilopascals and runnin low? (canadian) actually either way sounds a bit off, psi highkPa low.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

If you go ahead with the second part of that .... DO NOT, DO NOT , DO NOT put a towel over the exhaust and leave it there. When you take the valve cover off with the motor running the oil will get on the exhaust so you put a towel over top. SOAK THE TOWEL FIRST. If you dont use a towel you really wont be able to see through the smoke from the oil on the exhaust.

50-70psi while crusing? That seems a little high sure its not in kilopascals and runnin low? (canadian)
Yea IndyRamMan, guess I shoulda warned him about that. You've first hand experience with towels on the exhaust and the problems they can cause. I try to do that part of the testing while the engine is cold and only take a few moments with the engine running. I've been able to wipe up the oil before the headers get too hot and start blowing the blue smoke everywhere. Soaking the towel in water first is a great idea.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

50-70psi while crusing? That seems a little high sure its not in kilopascals and runnin low? (canadian)
Yea IndyRamMan, guess I shoulda warned him about that. You've first hand experience with towels on the exhaust and the problems they can cause. I try to do that part of the testing while the engine is cold and only take a few moments with the engine running. I've been able to wipe up the oil before the headers get too hot and start blowing the blue smoke everywhere. Soaking the towel in water first is a great idea.
yea, something my buddy tiped me off to the day after I caught my truck on fire lol. his timing was impetuous lol.

Quick Reply: Question About Oil Pressure