2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3" leveling kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
01silverram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" leveling kit question

I had a 3" leveling kit (front only) put on my truck. The deal is when you hit a pot hole or a bump the steering kinda loses it. meaning it has alot of play in it. It also has this annoying clunking noise up front. it sounds like the wheels are coming off (they have been checked).
On a smooth road it doesnt make a sound and it rides great. Its on crappy roads that it sounds like its going to fall apart. Im getting a steering stabilizer (rancho) to help the steering.

2001 Ram Quad Cab 4X4 Sport, 360, auto, 3" leveling kit up front, air bags in the back, 315 tires.

any help would be great.

jeff
USMC

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
critter69
Default RE: 3" leveling kit question

Have you checked your track bar at all? let me no

Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
erikb45
Veteran

theres alot of things that happen when putting in a leveling kit especially a 3" one.

it causes the axle to move over about an inch (i believe it is to the passenger side) they make a bracket for this or you can get a adjustable trac bar

it also pulls the axle back towards the rear of the car (cant remember the term for this) longer control arms can fix this. with out the control arms the ride suffers horribly with the 2" leveling kit the 3" must be worse

with 3 inches you decreased the amount of travel of your shocks and most likely you'll bottom out the shocks sooner or later

and 3" will probally put the front end higher then the back. technically this is not level (lol)

i put the 2 inch spacers in mine and i would not do it again. im even thinking about taking them out.
my ride suffered bad enough. i had to get longer shocks (i have the off road) and i installed th trac bar relocation bracket. if i was to do it again i would of saved and bought a decent lift kit.

now im looking for longer control arms i think that is the major problem. but remember i have an offroad edition so everything is now at 4" of lift.
wait for some oher answers from guys without the off road and 3" spacers

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
erikb45
Veteran

also check all your front end parts ball joints tie rods trac bar etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
zique
Captain

A 3" lift on your front pulls your axle off-center to the driver side. You can get a relocation bracket to adjust the track bar or an adjustable track bar.

Your steering is no longer in alignment. Go get an alignment done. When you get there, they will most likely end up telling you that your TIE's and track bar need to be replaced.

Also, if you did the 3" w/ new coils, your ride will be stiffer. I couldn't tell you if the spacer makes that kind of difference as I've never bothered with them.

Quick Reply: 3" leveling kit question