2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ
Id like to know more, there is a local diesel shop that last I heard, had one sitting around from a grandpa mobile that got swapped to an auto. I also remember a wrecked V10 5 speed in a wreckers yard as well. Also did you ever fix the electrical problems it had? Can it be solved by finding an ECU from a stick dodge in a junk yard? Or something that can be programmed out? (A buddy of mine has been modifying Honda ECUs with software found online, and can program just about ANYTHING.)

Lemme know any help is appreciated.
Odds are Snafu isn't going to be logging on anytime soon. His last login was 7/5/2005 [>:] You should be able to PM him though...you just can't email him.

I can tell you right now that the one from the V10 won't work. You'll have to find one from a 3/4 ton or 1 ton that has a 360 in it. That's the only one that will work for you.

You'll also need a pcm (ecu) from a truck with the same motor and perferably same year as your truck...but a manual transmission, as the one from your truck, which is for an automatic application, will not work.

And your buddy witht the Honda software won't be able to program it out

Edit: Also, if your truck is a 4wd, I do believe you will need to change over the transfer case as the input shafts are most likely different. I know they were on the 1st gen Rams.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 AM
AndrewJ

Ahhh okay thanks for the info. Snafu made a post in another thread about the tcase bolting up to his nv4500, so we'll see. Its probably easier, once I find a donor truck, to take the tranny and tcase as one piece anyways. It wont let me PM him, it tells me he is has turned off, or can not accept PMs. I'll see if I can find more info on google though thanks.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 AM
zipman

Hi,

I got a 95 v10 and have a cracked extension housing, I was losing about a quart every 10 miles(highway). Just looking at it, it is obvious that it is a problem, all that torque on that small thing. I've heard rumors that there is some sort of bracing to relieve some of the stress/twist, where could I find this if it exists?

THX,
Zipman

Old 02-04-2006, 12:28 AM
miknwv
Veteran

I have a 2001 Quad Cab sport with the 5.9L 360....and mine shifts hard into overdrive....kinda like a thump and it shifts. Is this something to worry about?

Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Snafu

I think I'm gonna ask Amanda for a Transmission Tech stickey for this forum...

i think we need an entire sub-forum in 2nd gen for trannies lol

Quick Reply: Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems