2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 05:52 PM
NightStalker02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems

Well, I'm new, but as I've unfortunately discovered over the past 5 days, DODGE RAM pick-ups are notorious for bad transmissions. My 2001 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 is in the shop for a new tranny with only 54k miles on it. I do ALL regularly scheduled maintenance as well as preventative maintenance checks, but still, it's gone!!

So, about $2400 later, and a life time Dodge owner (also have a 2002 Dodge Durango), I've decided to never buy another dodge product.

Where is the warranty on stuff like this? I went to three different and independant transmission shops, and all three diagnosed the same problem and said between Ford and Dodge, their businesses are able to make money!

What a crock o ****~

Anyone else have any suggestions before my dodge goes "under the knife" on Monday? Thanks in advance for both your time and assistance.

NSDQ!

Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Snafu
Default RE: Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems

Yah, don't screw with another automatic. Swap it over to a 5-speed from a 1-ton. I did mine for $2,000. Saved about $800-$1,000 over what a well built HD auto would have cost me and I'll never have to worry about the trans puking again.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
banwhalen
Rookie

I strongly suggest that if you do get the tranny rebuilt, from then on out do not engage the overdrive unless you are on a flat highway. Do not tow with it either.

The Dodge Lambs aren't real trucks, just driveway decorations.

I have found that the only way to keep a Ram truck running is to not use it as a truck. Mopar knows they build crappy transmissions, but fails to make them better. Just like the crapola with the intake plenum gasket leaking. They operate like Microsoft, get it out there and let the users (buyers) deal with the bugs, just sell sell sell to bring the figures up.

All in all, if you do go with the rebuild of the auto transmission, forget there's an overdrive option and I bet you won't have any problems.

By following that advice, which I got from another site by an individual who works in the transmission build of mopar, you should avoid problems. Keep the fluid changed regularly too.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

The single best thing you can do for your tranny is to install a shift kit. This will fix the poor OD oiling problems.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Snafu

2001 already had the improved oiling system. But agreed, a shift kit will reduce wear on the clutches and dramatically lower heat which causes other problems. Also, if you get the auto rebuilt make sure you get kevlar bands.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Snafu

2001 already had the improved oiling system.
Doh! I should have caught that. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Snafu

It's all good, now more people know the 2001 has an improved oiling system...

Old 12-22-2004, 12:27 AM
kuch68

What are the down sides to the shift kit? Is it a harsher shifting transmission?

Also, what is the ease of installing a shift kit, does it just modify the valve body etc?

I have a 2001 Quad Cab 4x4 and I know the previous owner used it to tow. I have 35000 miles and the transmission seems to run great. Smooth shifts, no erratic activity. What can I do to prevent early failure of my transmission? Or should I just start rebuilding a junkyard trans and be ready to swap it in?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Snafu

I think I'm gonna ask Amanda for a Transmission Tech stickey for this forum...

Ok, going thru the list-

#1 MOST IMPORTANT--- Flush fluid, change filter, and adjust bands EVERY 20,000 - 24,000 miles

Full synthetic fluid does NOT break down with heat, will be worth the extra $$$

When changing fluid, blow out cooling lines with compressed air to clear blockages

Get rid of the stock cooler in front of the radiator and replace with a BIG aftermarket unit. The stock cooler has a tube in the system that basically bypasses the external cooler. I have no idea why it's there, didn't even know it was there until I ripped my stock cooler out last week.

Stage 1 shift kit would be very good. It will firm up the shifts, but not make them really harsh. The smoother the shift, the more the internal clutches are slipping. Slipping clutches cause wear and heat. A shift kit forces the trans to shift much quicker, greatly reducing heat which causes BIG problems everywhere.

Those are the biggest things. It's kinda a crapshoot with these transmissions. Met a guy last weekend that has 180,000 miles on his '95, still the first trans. My '97 died at 78,000 with regular servicing. Buddy has a '97 with 140,000 that NEVER had the fluid changed and is doing fine. One of my college roomates had one (don't remember year) and put the 3rd trans in it at 90,000 miles. They redesigned a lot of the internals in '98, but another buddy has a '99 that died at 80,000 miles. It's basically how lucky you happen to be. I am unlucky with almost everything.

As far as getting a junkyard trans and building it, that is a route to go. I wouldn't jump on it yet cause it could sit around for a few years. By that time all the internals will be rotten. I swapped mine out for a 5-speed manual from a 1-ton. I did a writeup that tells every part you need to get and basically goes step by step thru the job. PM me if that's something you're interested in.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 PM
AndrewJ

Wow digging up an old post, but I need some info Snafu. I cant PM you. I'd like to know more about the 5 speed swap into a 1500. I have a 2000 and I've had just about enough of the lame auto in it. I would LOVE to have a 5 speed in it. I gather from what I read, that you took a 5 speed from a 1 ton and its mostly bolts up (fly wheels, bell housing?)?

Id like to know more, there is a local diesel shop that last I heard, had one sitting around from a grandpa mobile that got swapped to an auto. I also remember a wrecked V10 5 speed in a wreckers yard as well. Also did you ever fix the electrical problems it had? Can it be solved by finding an ECU from a stick dodge in a junk yard? Or something that can be programmed out? (A buddy of mine has been modifying Honda ECUs with software found online, and can program just about ANYTHING.)

Lemme know any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need assistance with 2001 Ram 4x4 transmission problems