2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Open air element / Removing the air dams from sides of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open air element / Removing the air dams from sides of radiator

Sorry if this was already covered. But I read one post about removing the dams beside the radiator. I bought the edelbrock air cleaner like Indy has and while under the hood, I looked at the dams and then removed them. Thinking this will help the engine bring in cooler air by lowering the temp under the hood. At first I was thinking these were installed to keep dirt and bugs out of the engine bay but then I realized these mighthavean aerodynamic purpuse.

Anyone run their truck without them and notice any negative or positive effects. I thought about putting filter media in those spots. This should allow air to pass in but keep out dirt and bugs.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Gene563
Rookie
Default RE: Open air element / Removing the air dams from sides of radiator

I thought those dams were there to channel the air through the radiator rather than around it.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the pass side removed and havent noticed any ill effects, but I'm running electric fans on the Radiator.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
V10 Jim

They're also used by the air conditioner condensor thats usually mounted in front of the radiator, it dramatically improves air flow so the condensor can work properly allowing the a/c to work properly

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

Hmm, never considered those in helping air flowto the radiator or the condenser.

I'm in the A/C buisness so I doubt this will hurt theA/C system. I can see how they might deflect the air to flow behind the coils though.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:42 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are in the AC business
why are you modifying the engine's air intakes system
without monitoring the IAT and MAP sensors?

If the IAT temperature reading goes down
and the MAP pressure reading goes up
you have made an improvement,
which you can then 'double check' by timing some acceleration runs.

Would you be treating a paying customer right
if you worked on his AC system
without measuring the high/low side pressures?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 AM
sstgonzo
Professional

I have the K&N FIPK and I did the small mod and all I have noticed was I have to clean my filter more. Thats just my 2 pennies. Aaron

Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the air dams were not necessary, then Detroit would not have installed them. They are needed to make the cooling system as efficient as possible. The driver's side air damn on my truck is missing/torn and in the cooler weather (temps below 50ยบ) the truck registers almost 190ยบ. As the weather warms I expect this to change. The dams help channel the air directly through the radiator for optimal cooling.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Yea I have mine out. I took them out after I installed the cam because the motor was letting off a lot of heat in the engine bay, figgured that would help to cool it down. No ill effects on cooling the radiator/trans cooler. I wont be running a/c anymore so thats not a concern of mine. Other than that, no problems from this end.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Houston4x4
Rookie

Thanks Indy. That's what I needed to hear. I'll close it up if it causes the truck to run hot. Or maybe build some type of funnel to bring the cold air to the intake.Likethe dual snorkel. I see some guys used the fog light holes for this purpose. Well, I don't wanna remove thoselights so this could be the alternative.

VW, I realize they are installed for a reason.But it could be several things. One of which being "looks" sinceyou can see into the engine compartmentfromthe front of the truck.

Another thing is the air can create a lifting effect on the front end. I'm gonna toy with this and see what happens.I think a duel snorkel would create enough back pressureto help thetruck run cool if thatbecomes a problem.

Again, I don't see this affecting the A/C system. As long as the coil isn't blockedoff, it should dissipate the heat.

Quick Reply: Open air element / Removing the air dams from sides of radiator