2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Gauges

ORIGINAL: Silver_Power

Yea.. I was just wondering.. has anyone messed with this brand or maybe can tell by looking at the picture.. whether or not its the colum that will replace the ENTIRE pillar or if its the cheezy as one that clips on.. because the clip ons look like **crap. Thnx
As far as I know, all of the gauge pillars clip on to the stock pillar, even AutoMeter's. I have an AutoMeter pod on my truck, but you cannot tell it clips on. This is because AutoMeter makes their pillar pods the exact same shape, size, and texture of the stock pillar.

Basically, you paint the gauge pods the same color as your stock pillar (Summit Racing carries the proper paint). Then, you position the pillar (with the gauges and wiring installed) right up against the stock pillar and line them up. Using a drill, you drill a small hole through the gauge pod and pillar beneath it. Then, there is a small fastener you push through those two holes. You'll use a couple of those fasteners to hold the pillar up. Trust me, it looks really good, as long as you paint the gauge pod to match.

EDIT: Let me know if you need the part number for the correct gray paint.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Hmmm.. Really I did not know that.. Nice info.. i know there are some that are just a small section of the pillar that are clip ons.. and those are the ones that i mean look like crap.. and yes i would love the part number for the paint if it isnt to much trouble.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Silver_Power

Hmmm.. Really I did not know that.. Nice info.. i know there are some that are just a small section of the pillar that are clip ons.. and those are the ones that i mean look like crap.. and yes i would love the part number for the paint if it isnt to much trouble.
Here's the pillar I used:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=ATM%2D17205

And here's the paint:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p?part=CBD-165

EDIT:
That pillar is for doors that have speakers on the pillar. There's also one available for doors without the speaker.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always liked Autometer stuff. I have a Faze pillar pod thing in my Accord with 2 Autometers in it. I am not super crazy about the pillar pod but I guess it's okay. The guages seem really nice though especially since I got them for free from a buddy. They were in his old 240sx that he had blown the motor on then basically stripped and left the chassis sitting in a field. I wanted the stereo out of it before it got ruined. It was a nice Eclipse H/U so he told me I could have it for $75 and I could have the guages for free if I wanted them if I came back to get it. Well, I got it and had another buddy that was looking for a stereo for his truck so he gladly gave me the $75 for the radio. He still uses it to this day and as far as I know likes it.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

I've got Faze gauges in my Duster mounted on a generic pod. The gauges are decent, but they're not as accurate as AutoMeter. If I ever replace those Faze gauges, I'll be getting Autometer instead.

Quick Reply: Which Gauges