2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interesting thing about Ram problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting thing about Ram problems

Hey guys, I found this interesting and had to share...

A guy I work with has a very sweet 2001 Ram Off-Road, black, lifted, with I think 35's. Very nice truck... Here's the thing: I asked him if his tranny felt good, yes. I asked if his steering felt firm, yes. Any problems with decreased power, nope. Ever heard of the plenum problem? Nope.

Here's my point: I think it seems way worse knowing about the potential problems. He has never heard of any of the problems that seem to run rampant on here, and his truck has no problems at all. I guess ignorance IS bliss after all.[8D]

Old 02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: Interesting thing about Ram problems

I in someways think that is partially true. Us that know about the problems seem to just be waiting for them to happen well atleast I know I am and it sounds like a few others are. If you think bad things will happen to it then they probably will. Ever seen The Secret movie? I think if you don't know about these problems you won't expect them therefore you won't think of bad things happening to it.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I first put my foot into my truck I was dissapointed. I've owned alot of vehicles with alot of different motors and I new a 360 ought to be putting out more than it was. Searching led me to this and various other forums. I guess if your happy to just jump in and drive it until it quits alot of things would go unoticed. The tranny's aren't that bad if you keep up with the scheduled maintenance and don't run them hot, but I'm definately glad Iread about the intakeplenum, the associated pcm flash, and the heads cracking.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Must be really nice to have a perfect truck...........Its kind of like when someone does something illegal and they never caught.....but if you even thought about doing that same thing you would end up with a hefty fine or a trip to jail.

People who don't give a crap about nothing............usually end up being the luckiest

Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Wow, I really do agree with that. I think a lot of the guys on this forum do a lot of work themselves, and run into some issues that are common between other guys here. So it's natural for them to want to spread the word about their findings, but I don't think it necessarily makes them more evident in all dodges. If I didn't know about this forum, many of the common things we talk about I'd have no thought of .The only thing I think are very common with these trucks across the boards are the transmissions, no ands, ifs or buts about that.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I own six Dodges, four of them with atleast 150k on them. I have had one tranny go. It went at 110k because the idiot I hired to put in the drivers seat drove it back from the other side of the state low on fluid. Maybe I'm just lucky. That Van has a Jasper in it now, and I know has atleast 300k(conservative) probably more like 325k (odometer quit in 2003). Aside from the tranny, during that time I've had to replace an alternator,a few front end parts,and a fuel pump (fun).

Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

+1 mopowar. Younger guys are getting trucks that have been rode hard and put away wet. Then they hot rod them. Duh. If you treat a truck right it will go a long time with no problems. This is the 2nd generation thread, so some of the trucks have been working for 14 years. Is there a manufacturer that has made a bullet proof stock transmission? No, because of the driver. I have 193,000 miles on my original tranny and motor. I have had to replace front end parts and a radiator, two water pumps, brakes. My truck is the greatest vehicle ever.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram2K1

Hey guys, I found this interesting and had to share...

A guy I work with has a very sweet 2001 Ram Off-Road, black, lifted, with I think 35's. Very nice truck... Here's the thing: I asked him if his tranny felt good, yes. I asked if his steering felt firm, yes. Any problems with decreased power, nope. Ever heard of the plenum problem? Nope.

Here's my point: I think it seems way worse knowing about the potential problems. He has never heard of any of the problems that seem to run rampant on here, and his truck has no problems at all. I guess ignorance IS bliss after all.[8D]
A lot of guys like him are just telling you stuff like that because they don't want to admit there is a problem they don't know how to fix. I knew a guy once who resurrected an old Chevy 4x4 that was lifted about 4", but the freaking steering was wobbly as hell. I made mention of it and he said, "Naw, that ain't bad. Old Chevies are like that." I also drove my sisters Grand Cherokee (1995 model) a few years ago and told her that the transmission didn't feel right. Her response? "I don't have any problem with it." She's the kind to ignore/not admit there is a problem with the vehicle until *KA-BOOM* Most people are like that.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't know if he is very mechanically inclined either... Mostly into the appearance I think, since the truck has no performance mods...

Quick Reply: Interesting thing about Ram problems