2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I Just bought a 96 Ram and have a few questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Lefty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Just bought a 96 Ram and have a few questions!!!

I just bought a 96 Ram with the 360 engine ans 140,000 miles. So far I love it. I do have a few questions if you guys don't mind.

1. It will only heat up to about 150 degrees. Will this cause any problems, (less power, bad gas milege)???

2. It wants to wind out before it will shift gears, (between 2500 to 3500 RPM) and when it does shift it feels like it is going to snap your neck, like it has a shifft kit in it. Is this normal???

Thanks for any info you can provide guys, this is the first Dodge i have ever had and just want to learn all I can about these trucks. Please feel free to offer advice on anything else...

Thanks,
Lefty

Old 12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Snafu
Default RE: I Just bought a 96 Ram and have a few questions!!!

150 is not good. Sounds like someone removed the thermostat, or it's stuck wide open. It's kinda a bitch to get to on our trucks also. It will cause slightly lower fuel economy, and will do severe engine damage in the long run. Your block and heads are iron and your pistons are aluminum. They're designed to operate at a certain temperature because the different materials expand at different rates. By running at that low of a temperature, your pistons and rings will take some severe abuse because your pistons are not expanded enough to be in proper tolerance with the engine block.

If you have a shift kit, the transmission thing is not terribly bad. If you do not have a shift kit, it is extremely bad. It sounds like either very bad things are happening inside the trans, or you have a Stage 2 shift kit. Since very few people install the Stage 2 kit in anything, I'd be worried. Try servicing the fluid and adjusting the bands. Maybe someone adjusted them way too tight. That would explain the extremely hard shifts, and is not a good thing because those bands like to snap if they're that tight.

By the way- Yes, I am an engineer and tend to get too technical at times.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Lefty

I'm 99% sure that the dealer rebuilt the trans before i bought it. The previous owner said that it slipped very bad when he traded it in. Now it doesn't slip any. Also the trans fluid looks extremely clean, I'm guessing that its new fluid due to the rebuilt.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Snafu

How long have you had the truck? Sounds like something was not assembled correctly. Talk to the dealership and try to get some more info, or maybe try to get them to check it for free. They could also have cranked down the bands real tight just to get it out the door, that way when it dies in 1,000 miles they can say "too bad, as is no waranty" and stick you with the cost. I don't know, I'm just paranoid that way. DEFINATELY try to get them to do something about it, or at least explain it.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Lefty

I just got it Saturday. Bought it as is, so they will not check anything for me.

By the way, What options do I have to add power???

Sorry, i know nothing about a Dodge, allthough I can tell you almost everything about all Fords.

Thanks,
Lefty

Old 12-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Scootr
Professional

Not too hijack but I too bought a 96 Ram last week.It only has 42k miles. Where does one get the stage 2 shift kit mentioned? Mine is practically like new but with these tranny's I wanna do as much as I can to prevent it from going out on me.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Snafu

You don't want a Stage 2 shift kit in a relatively stock vehicle. Go with a standard Stage 1. Stage 2 will chirp the tires in every gear, no matter how light you are on the throttle. Slams you hard every time. If you're not making major power, you don't need the Stage 2. Good rule of thumb is that the Stage 2 should only be used on race vehicles.

That said, I get most of that stuff from-

www.naparts.com
www.winnerscircleonline.com
www.summitracing.com
www.jegs.com

Old 12-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Scootr
Professional

Thank you much!!!!

Quick Reply: I Just bought a 96 Ram and have a few questions!!!