2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bolt on Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Install, hard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bolt on Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Install, hard?

ORIGINAL: sstgonzo

Haha you love keeping them in business, lol $60 bucks an hour ain't nothing to some. Looking at your tab so far I could have turned a wrench or two and had a meaner running truck.
No, I don't "love" doing that at all, but I don't have the time or tools to weld in a new cat. I can do most other little things, but when i get new tires, I need to have a shop put them on... I can't do a transmission rebuild, nor do I have the tools to take the bearings off.
So... letsomeone else do thework on my turd.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

this what scares me the most
$850-bearings <<< HUH?
$2633.49-Tranny rebuild w/shiftkit
$249.05-18k GVW Trans Cooler <<<<< HUH?
$26.24-CAD Vacuum Lines
$826.63-Walker Catalytic Converter <<<<HUH?

wheel bearing depends where you buy them should of been no more then 400 with labor
trans color i got mine for 49.00 rated at 18k gvw
cat is like199.00 bux maybe 100 labor and whatever they charge to get rid of the old cat..

i got a bridge for sale , and its cheap..
Sorry, I forgot to mention both half shafts (think thats what they are called) were toast. the drivers side was cross threaded by the previous owner trying to do it himself. the passenger side was worn out from the bearing being so bad.
it was too much to add, i will put more detail in it now.

Walker Cat, and two O2 sensors plus labor. for some reason I can't add more to the signature.
the tranmission cooler install included more labor to remove the stock externalcooler andinstalling the new cooler.

I live in CT, everything is more expensive. Gas is $3.28 a gal. and the national average is $3.09

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt mean anything by it, just lettin ya know Im not trying to tell you how to spend your money, really I am just trying to look out for you. You could have gotten a universal cat for around $100 and clamped it in place, or put the cat on and have a muffler shop weld it up for $80 bucks...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

I didnt mean anything by it, just lettin ya know Im not trying to tell you how to spend your money, really I am just trying to look out for you. You could have gotten a universal cat for around $100 and clamped it in place, or put the cat on and have a muffler shop weld it up for $80 bucks...
I understand 100%.
heard that doing that you could get a MIL, munro and firestone car center told me they would do some trick to keep the light from coming on. Sorry, the last thing I need is a trick done to the computer.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 AM
White Ram
Professional

Stay away from Firestone service centers. I knew the manager of one in CT. He says most of the "mechanics" are just kids with no auto mechanic experience, and the place works on commision. He said of all the places he ever worked, they do more re-work there than anywhere.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from Firestone service centers. I knew the manager of one in CT. He says most of the "mechanics" are just kids with no auto mechanic experience, and the place works on commision. He said of all the places he ever worked, they do more re-work there than anywhere.
when I was 16 I was hired by a Shell station as a attendant/ tire repair, within two months they had me doing brake jobs, tune-ups, and other minor work with no experience (job trained), luckily I always watched my dad work on cars and picked it up quick.

A big reason I do all my own work, is because youu don't have any idea who or what is going on to your truck at a shop. Also welding is cheap cheap cheap. I think $20 is about right for someone to weld on a muffler that is already in place. I would hate to have to pay some of these prices.

I agree with the other posters, it is hard to complain about the truck being a money pit, when you don't seem to be shopping around for a better price. If CT is more expensive then drive 20 miles to the next state.

You should have done the exhaust yourself, you spent that extra $600, not your truck, its your fault not its.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Install, hard?