2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission***UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission

And you make a really good point about the itemized list. I will have him explain what exactly is making this transmission "heavy duty". But I also just want to thank you for always being a helpful hand a nice guy. Your really easy to get help from, and I thank you a lot for your patience you have all the time. So, whatever route I choose to go, I just need to let you know that I appreciate everything your doing for me, and I know that I can count on you for anything on this forum. So I will find out a little more about the heavy duy transmission, and spill it out here so you and the others can disect it. If it does have nice qualities, I think I may go with it seeing that its local, has a big warranty on it, and includes so many other bonuses like the big tranny pan, transmission cooler, and fixing the leaks, and calibrating th spedometer. I'm getting all of ths done for about $500 more than what the Fastman transmission is ALONE with only a 30 day guarantee and 3500 miles away[8D]. I will still keep trying to call Wayne from APS though. Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I agree. If it has all the common issues addressed and a nice warranty like that it wouldn't be a bad thing to go with. Having the shop nearby if you have any issues will be worth a little money anyway. I just see soo many people supposedly getting heavy duty transmissions and then have them fail shortly after I'm just very weary about local shops. Some are good though and can build one just as good as say an online company.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Something that hit me after I posted those last 2 posts is if it is infact a rebuilt one which I strongly suspect it is make sure it has all new sensors and hard parts. Make sure the only thing being reused is the case. Lots of people seem to rebuild them and use old sensors or leave the hard parts as long as they are okay. This is the benefit of having Wanye start with a brand new one. He also said he can sell you a rebuilt one but by the time he replaces all the parts including sensors it's only going to be a few hundred cheaper. I told him not to even get me a quote on those as I didn't want a rebuilt one so I don't know how much cheaper those would have been.

He is right though the sensors aren't the most reliable in stock for so you for sure don't want to get one rebuilt where the shop hasn't replaced all of them. The case should be the only thing being reused. Make sure thats the case.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

The biggest reason I am wearry of local tranny shops I guess is not only hearing online how many people have had horrible experiences I also have a buddy around here that has a older 89 Ram 350 dump truck with the 360. He uses it for his trash service.
Well, he got around 127k out of his original tranny and since then said he hasn't gotten more than 40k I think it was out of one. He got over 300k out of the motor but has had 6 transmissions put in most of which were supposed to be built better than stock and built to last according to the local shops. This last one he got in there seems good so far but he still has had a a lot trouble. He has tried Jasper and then locally built ones and none of them seem to last. He said next time he needs one if this one goes bad he is going to look into some of the online companys and see what they offer.
It just depends on who builds it and what parts are used. If someone good with quality parts builds it, the 46RE's are actually solid transmissions.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

The biggest reason I am wearry of local tranny shops I guess is not only hearing online how many people have had horrible experiences I also have a buddy around here that has a older 89 Ram 350 dump truck with the 360. He uses it for his trash service.
Well, he got around 127k out of his original tranny and since then said he hasn't gotten more than 40k I think it was out of one. He got over 300k out of the motor but has had 6 transmissions put in most of which were supposed to be built better than stock and built to last according to the local shops. This last one he got in there seems good so far but he still has had a a lot trouble. He has tried Jasper and then locally built ones and none of them seem to last. He said next time he needs one if this one goes bad he is going to look into some of the online companys and see what they offer.
It just depends on who builds it and what parts are used. If someone good with quality parts builds it, the 46RE's are actually solid transmissions.
I agree. Thats what I'm saying though you have to find someone good. I chose not to try the local shops out until I found a good one and just pay a little extra and get one from a place I knew would be good. Chances are there is someone within a few hours of here that could have done a great job but I didnt' want to go through all the many shops until I found that 1. It would have cost me way more than just getting one from APS.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Yeah, I get what you mean. When we took my father's 98 in to get rebuilt, we took it to a guy who has business connections with my father's business partner, so you know he wasn't going to do a crap job. The guy has been doing transmission for 40+ years down in S. Florida, and he was a great guy, really knew his stuff. However when we picked it up, it didn't seem to shift right. We took it back and they found it had a cracked valve body, so they replaced it free of charge. Upon taking it out again, the transmission shifted breath takingly well with the shift kit and trans cooler. Not bad for $1500. Anyone need transmission work done in Southern Florida, look up Down Town transmissions in Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Slomojo01
Professional

Warranty speaks for itself more then anything else. If a company is willing to allow someone to put unlimited miles on their stuff, I'd trust them more then somebody who is trying to keep a person on a budget, so as not to damage the delicate flower they call a tranny...

Knowing what I know now, and there is still a lot for me to learn seeing as how I hardly know ****, I would be focusing more on the warranty and the parts that are stuffed inside of the tranny more then the price. And hell, if your going to be spending around $4,000 on a tranny you may as well go all out. Diesel Transmission Technology was featured in a 4x4 mag a while back and after reading the article, I understood that their stuff is top notch. They warranty their stuff for 2 years with unlimited miles and their site is ( http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm , check it out, plenty of good stuff to check out over there. But hey, if APS has the same warranty, a better price, and you don't have all the money in the world to burn, I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Choose wisely because some will give you more for less, others will give you less for more, and then there are some who will just give you the same ****.

In the mean time, I'm going to try and get a build sheet on one of DTT's Trannys to let you know what goes inside along with how much all of that stuff costs.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

$2800 roughly for my rebuild with a shift kit, 18K GVW Cooler, heavy duty TQ, and a 1yr/12K warranty.
So I would take their deal.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've heard good things about DTT too but do they build 46RE's? Or just bigger transmissions?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

01DodgeRam360,

How far are you away from Laconia, NH? There is a fantastic tranny shop called Global Transmissions there (just across from the Walmart) that did a fantastic Job on my Father in Law's Mountaineer while we were there vacationing.