2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission***UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

In response to gettin your hands dirty, swappin out a tranny, engine, etc may be easier than our minds conjure it up to be, but if he's like me, I don't have the physical space necessary. Right now my truck is parked on the side of the road next to a sidewalk, and people would have a fit if I was to go through a procedure like that out on the road.
LOL man I'm just trying to invision what that would be like. I can already picture my bitchy neighbor getting up in my space while she's letting her dog **** on the little yard that I have inquiring about what the hell I'm doing. I remember last summer when I was out on the street spraying rubberized undercoating underneath my truck. I was so worried about getting overspray on peoples' cars, so I taped garbage bags to the road and to the bottom of the truck. Of course all the hunny bunnys were out that day and saw me underneath my truck like a mad man spraying it down. They were like what are you doing? Ah I felt so stupid, I totally blew looking like the cool guy haha. I was just thinking to myself howcome you girls never come around when im RIDING in my truck and not underneath spraying it down with garbage bags all over the place lmao. Anyways, this is true, this is really the option I have with this transmission. It was either sell the truck, which I don't want to do, or get a OEM replacement transmission that would require me taking the big tires off and taking the lift off, which would probably cost me just as much as it now. So it only made sense for me to get their top of the line heavy duty transmission and fix the leaking seals. I assume that they are confident with their product since they pack it with that 3 year/70,000 mile warranty. The other tranny he was trying to sell me was $2600, but it only came with a 2 year/30,000 mile warranty, I didn't like that lol. So I figure $98 dollars a month isn't too bad. I plan to make as many double payments as possible as well. Fortunately I've already paid this truck off, so the only payments I have to make is this loan, and my existing house payments, which already get deducted from my check anyways. Ah I just want my baby back though, miss that damn thing, it's coming on two weeks now, and I won't have her back till next Thursday or Friday, but it sure will be worth it

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah. Like I said, if your situation was different, I can see you doing something different. But since we're both floating in the same boat, I understand where your coming from. Just don't take out loans like their toilet paper man, that would really mess you up indefinitely.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find out what gears you have?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Eh still waiting to hear from them. I think they won't do it until they start putting the transmission in. I have a feeling they were reluctant to take off the differential cap just to tell me what the gear ratio was. So tonight I'm going to call them one more time and remind them. I'd really like to know.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Can't you just put it in nuetral lift the truck and spin the tire once around while counting how many time the drive shaft spins?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah that's what Silver_Dodge was telling me, but I haven't had the truck in my possession for over a week and half now, and I sure as heck don't want to be like a chef and tell them how to do it lol. They aren't charging me to do it, so I'll just let them do it however way they want to[8D].

Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Can't you just get a build sheet from Chrysler? That would tell you about your gears...unless you think they aren't the stock gears.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Well we all know for sure that she has 4.10s stock since it was the offroad edition, but many of us have a hunch that the previous owner may have upgraded them to 4.56s because the truck seems to have an awfully aggressive snap even with 35" tires. I think they must be 4.56s because that truck just had a really unusual pull from the line, espesically with those oversized tires.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Yeah, that makes sense... A guy I work with has a2001 O/Rthat looks a lot like yours...I need to post a pic of it on here. He has big tires, too (I think 35's) and he said he has plenty of pull off the line as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Do you know if he upgraded his gear ratio from the stock 4.10s?