2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

grinding in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
dodgeforlife15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding in rear end

i have a 98 ram 1500 2wd 5.2L. lately i have been having a grinding noise and a very jolting vibration coming from the rear end of my truck. it only happens when i start from a dead stop at very low speeds. when i get about 7 mph it goes away. it doesn't happen every time and it only happens when i accelerate slow. if i jump off the line i have no problem. i had a problem with my diff bearings about 2 years ago, but i had that fixed. i was told that it could be the u joints, but i took them out and they were perfectly fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
jacobl
Default RE: grinding in rear end

all the advice I can think of at the moment is to make sure everything is tight and check your fluids. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

The grinding noise leads me too conclude that something is FUKED UP in your rearend

Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

The grinding noise leads me too conclude that something is FUKED UP in your rearend
dude.. what the hell is this.. some backwoods redneck trash talkin site? i dont see that here.. i understand most if this is all in fun.. but cant we be a bit discreet in HOW we talk on here? almost EVERYONE will at least put ***** in where they are going to swear.. it just strikes the wrong impression for those coming to visit for the first time to see the vulgarity in it right off the bat.. and dude. he knows the rear end is messed up.. or he wouldnt have posted looking for help![sm=boosign.gif]

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

dude.. what the hell is this.. some backwoods redneck trash talkin site? i dont see that here.. i understand most if this is all in fun.. but cant we be a bit discreet in HOW we talk on here? almost EVERYONE will at least put ***** in where they are going to swear.. it just strikes the wrong impression for those coming to visit for the first time to see the vulgarity in it right off the bat.. and dude. he knows the rear end is messed up.. or he wouldnt have posted looking for help![sm=boosign.gif]
Sorry mom, I didnt mean to swear.........did I offend you?????

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgeforlife15

i have a 98 ram 1500 2wd 5.2L. lately i have been having a grinding noise and a very jolting vibration coming from the rear end of my truck. it only happens when i start from a dead stop at very low speeds. when i get about 7 mph it goes away. it doesn't happen every time and it only happens when i accelerate slow. if i jump off the line i have no problem. i had a problem with my diff bearings about 2 years ago, but i had that fixed. i was told that it could be the u joints, but i took them out and they were perfectly fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would imagine your either you diff gears are severly worn and upon starting up they are grinding against each other to bite and catch, as you speed up they settle in and the fast rotation keeps them more or less aligned (doesn't give them time to grind.) There is probably a worn out bearing that has introduced slack into the pinion, but without tearing it apart and inspecting it, that's just a guess.

The only other thing I could think of is one of the rollers on the bearing is shot and it heats up and seizes after you accelerate and the diff oil is the only thing keeping it lubed.

either situation is bad.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Does you truck have a LSD diff? You may want to remove the inspection cover and inspect the clips holding the clutches. If they have fell out, then you would need a carrier and all bearings. If you don't have LSD, then you may need just the pinion bearings and side carrier bearings.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the LSD.

If your truck has a Limited Slip Differential it could be worn out, which is a common problem for ourtrucks with the factory LSD.If not, and its not your U-Joints, then it may very wellbe something with your gears or a bad bearing like mentioned before, which would explain the jolting you described....Also check outyourdifferential fluid-if you havent already.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
dodgeforlife15
Professional

I do have an LSD. I just replaced the bearings about a year ago because one of them had seized up and caused a very loud howling noise. it was running fine up until about a month ago when this started happening. lube levels check out, no leaks, nothing out out the ordinary.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
dodgeGIRRRL27

ever find out what it was? i have the exact same truck and the rear end grinds/clunks and almost feels like its dragging, always under 15 kmh when i pull away, and ive noticed if i back up a good distance before going forward, theres no grinding or anything. had my fluid changed 6 thou km ago, and its been getting progressively worse, thought at first it was the brake, but now its apparent its the rear end. Took some fluid out and it was fulllll of shavings, and when i apply brake with tranny in drive, and give it gas, theres a clicking noise in the rear... found a new rear end for 350 bucks so im just gonna drop it and put a new one in, then maybe rebuild this one? sound like a good idea? im getting a steal on the new one, only 130k and the truck was babied

Quick Reply: grinding in rear end