2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I just bought some Edelbrock Shorties on Ebay, Yay!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought some Edelbrock Shorties on Ebay, Yay!!

I'm pretty excited. They are brand new, ceramic coated, with all gaskets and bolts and I got them for under $300. I'm pretty excited and should be very fun once I get them. Do you guys think that I'll see a very noticeable difference in power and sound with these? Did I make a good choice in getting these? I know they usually sell for like $400, so I got a pretty good deal as far as that goes. I just thought I'd let you guys in on my excitement.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I just bought some Edelbrock Shorties on Ebay, Yay!!

I almost bid on those. They went for a great price. That's the headers I have been running (65642's). I have had mine for over 3 years, and just had the first major issue with them (hence why I was thinking about bidding on those). The quality of the ceramic coating is excellent. I noticed a gain at high rpm's. I recommend some Remflex gaskets.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats funny i was gonna bid on them to..since i have a leak with the el cheapoes either i change the gasket or get new headers (gibson) and maybe put a gibson muffler on to..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
wayneo360
Professional

yea man i got gibson shortys on my 5.9 with no muffler after the cat so it just dumps.. before the headers i didnt like the sound of the exhaust too much i mean it sounded cool but got obnoxious and annoying cause it was so loud in the cab but after the headers were installed it just sounded sooo much better ive been running my truck with no muffler for awhile now and it just sounds soo good. my friend has the exact same truck as me except sport and we both cut the mufflers off and i got headers and hes got the stock manifolds and there was a group of friends out one day and we both revved and everybody voted that mine sounded better, so headers do make a pretty noticible difference in sound.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I almost bid on those. They went for a great price. That's the headers I have been running (65642's). I have had mine for over 3 years, and just had the first major issue with them (hence why I was thinking about bidding on those). The quality of the ceramic coating is excellent. I noticed a gain at high rpm's. I recommend some Remflex gaskets.

Yeah, I've been looking for a while and almost went with the Pacesetter Long tubes, but I really didn't want to shell out ~$500 (with shipping and gaskets and such) for a set either. I've read some posts not talking too high of Edelbrock's, but it's Edelbrock and they've been around for a long time so they must be doing something right. What kind of problem are you having with yours now? Three years is pretty good to not have any trouble until now I would say. Did you notice quite a bit of difference in sound? Also are the Edelbrock gaskets not that good; should I go ahead and get another set?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

thats funny i was gonna bid on them to..since i have a leak with the el cheapoes either i change the gasket or get new headers (gibson) and maybe put a gibson muffler on to..
I'm glad you guys didn't bid on them, worked out well for me. I almost didn't go to $285, but I think they should be worth it and will really make the engine look better after I get the stock manifolds off. Hopefully the performance gains will be significantly noticeable along with a little more loudness; always a plus.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: wayneo360

yea man i got gibson shortys on my 5.9 with no muffler after the cat so it just dumps.. before the headers i didnt like the sound of the exhaust too much i mean it sounded cool but got obnoxious and annoying cause it was so loud in the cab but after the headers were installed it just sounded sooo much better ive been running my truck with no muffler for awhile now and it just sounds soo good. my friend has the exact same truck as me except sport and we both cut the mufflers off and i got headers and hes got the stock manifolds and there was a group of friends out one day and we both revved and everybody voted that mine sounded better, so headers do make a pretty noticible difference in sound.
I've been waiting for a good deal to pop up and I think I got one on these Edelbrocks. I've been looking for gibson too, but these happened to come up and I jumped on them. I'm also thinking about putting catalytic converters back on my truck and getting rid of the mufflers. I like the sound, but I want it to be louder inside and out. I'll probably put these headers on first and see how it sounds, then maybe do something different. Either way it should be good.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

+1 on the Remflex gaskets. I run the same Edelbrocks and for some reason could not keep exhaust gaskets in it. Had to replace 1 left and 1 right gasket. Went with the Remflex a year ago and all is well. Very happy with both now.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is a good precaution to check the flatness of the flanges with a straight-edge and feeler gauges...then if necessary pay to have them milled flat

Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Hank on the trueness of the flanges.

blkbaretta, the only issue I am having with mine right now is that the driver side appears to have cracked right where the primaries come together at the collector. I need to remove it to get a better look to see what is going on. I can't tell if it rusted or just a bad weld or what. But for the 3 years prior to that, I had no issues. I replaced one of the donut gaskets once, but in retrospect, I think the failure of the firt one was my fault. It got damaged some during the install, and so it didn't last like it should have.

I didn't really notice much difference in the exhaust tone. The engine seemed louder under the hood, but the exhaust tone didn't change at all that I could discern.

Quick Reply: I just bought some Edelbrock Shorties on Ebay, Yay!!