2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control issue with new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise control issue with new tranny

Ok this is one of the small issues my truck is having now and not a huge deal just wondering what it could be.

After having the APS tranny installed if you use the cruise control and go up a big hill it will just slow down like 5-10mph it won't downshift out of overdrive so it can stay at the same speed. If you hit the overdrive off button it will kick it out of overdrive and still hold it's speed fine however if you take turn the overdrive back on it won't shift out of 3rd back into OD until you get over the hill. It will just hold it at 3k rpms unless I tap the gas to get it to rev slightly up then it will go back into OD. I also put a Hypertech programmer on there so am thinking maybe it raised the shift points so the truck doesn't rev high enough and low enough for it to tell it self to shift like that if the cruise control is on. It however never did this before as it was one of the better cruise controls I've used. It kept up the same speed pretty much although it did seem like it was either no gas or to the floor with you thrown back in teh seat when you hit a hill. It doesn't do that anymore.

However this is only with the cruise control set. If you drive it and use the pedal it shifts in and out of OD like it should and is great. I'm thinking the CC just isn't giving it enough gas to make it shift down. Does anyone know what would be the cause of this? I don't think it's a tranny issue as like I said it does fine if you are driving with the CC off. I am unsure of if the Hypertech would have done this or not.
Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Default RE: Cruise control issue with new tranny

Sounds like maybe you have a vaccum leak... I know vaccum controls the cruise control on these, but im not sure if there are any electrical controls...

Basically all the cruise control does is there is a little servo motor connected to a cable that pulls the throttle linkage back on the tb just as it would with the gas pedal... Sounds like the cruise control isnt getting the singnal for waht ever reason.

Not really sure, cant help much... just check for vaccum leaks

Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I know I have a vaccum leak also thats hopefulyy getting found and fixxed tomorrow. I dodn't know if it would cause this or not. I know I have one as it will kick my heat to defrost.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two issuesare most likely related.

Quick Reply: Cruise control issue with new tranny