2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

Guess you'll be driving a dirty truck from now on. I would also avoid any deep puddles while 4 wheeling.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Power

Scanner will only pick up codes.. Wont pick up crap unless the check engine light is on.. BECAUSE that is the only time the TRUCK even knows what the hell is going on.
You're thinking about a code reader. A scanner will tell you all kinds of stuff anytime the motor is running. It's a good investment for DIY'er or anyone interested in better performance.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
pipeking
Veteran

my truck jump out of the carrage in the car wash and got all jamed up in there it was crazy they said my tires were to big never did that b 4

Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Shawn86
Professional

This is just a shot in the dark here, but would it have anything to do with not enough air getting to the intake??? Like, if the water shower breifly cut the air supply and chocked the engine out? Like I said, this is just shot in the dark, but thats the first thing I thought of!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like classic spark plug wire failure. Spray them and the coil with water and see if you see orhear any arcing (snapping sound).
check all the terminals for corrosion (green or white powder)

Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

You have a number of very important electrical connections along the firewall that could be affected by the water. Not sure what year your truck is, but you have 2 or 3 electrical connections to your PCM that could be affected. There is also the Crankshaft position sensorthat sits at the left rear of the engine when you are looking under the hood. Then you have the camshaft position sensor inside your distributor. any one oftheseelectrical connectionscould be the cause of your problem.
I highly recommend that you disconnect each of these and apply some di-electric grease to the connections and re-connect them. This grease will prevent corrosion and will help in the event water gets into the connection. Use it also on both ends of your wires, the coil wire and the coil connection plug, the 3 electrical connections to your throttle body (MAP, IAC, and TPS sensors), and all of your Fuel injector connectors. I had a weird problem last winter with a bad running truck until I did this to every connector I could find under the hood, and the problem has never returned.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird story for you, I went through a car was this morning before work. As i pulled out, the truck started making this really loud squeeling noise. It's coming from the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys (probably tensioner or alternator). Belt is brand new from when I did the plenum job, so i'm betting it is the tensioner pulley going bad. Not sure why it would have started while in the car wash, but it did. Weird.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
yotekiller

Hope my posting of my problem did not jinx you ! My 99 is quite in that since, but when it suddenly shuts down and I try to get it running it sounds like a small war inside the car wash!! Worry most about screwing up the timing, or blowing my exhaust apartwhen it does this. Have not had time to try any of the great ideas everyone has had. To cold up here also to wash anything anyway. Have a great weekend all.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
yotekiller

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Weird story for you, I went through a car was this morning before work. As i pulled out, the truck started making this really loud squeeling noise. It's coming from the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys (probably tensioner or alternator). Belt is brand new from when I did the plenum job, so i'm betting it is the tensioner pulley going bad. Not sure why it would have started while in the car wash, but it did. Weird.
Try your old belt / or another belt and see if it quits. A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out the new belt was defective. He was pretty PO'd after replacing a bunch of parts and finds out it was the new belt.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turns out, it was the idler pulley. Cost $35 at Napa for a new one, and took about 5 minutes to swap. Just funny how it started at the carwash is all.

Quick Reply: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash