2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget 318 Camshaft Build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Budget 318 Camshaft Build?

these two smaller shops will re-profile a used camshaft:

http://www.deltacam.com/

http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html

Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder what the real world ratio is on the 1.7's then. I'll check mine next time I have a valve cover off.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aftermarket roller rockers are a true 1.7 ratio . factory with all do respect to hankl #s range from a 1.58 to a 1.64 ratio never seen where the ratio would show a 1.7 ratio on a factory rocker , even so if some one with a 1.6 ratio roller rocker still have a benfit of the needle nose bearings and less friction on the valve train..

Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PA

You know a thing or two about the 5.0L HO Mustang engine??????

Thats my next project, I got a 93 LX with a GT kit a chrome ponies. Used to be a friends car he bought it ne in 93, and died in 2005. I had the car since then and finally got the title so now I can put money into it and not get screwed. Anyway plan to start lurking 5.0 forums soon.

Want to make it a racer, a beast, something to bring to the track.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Wonder what the real world ratio is on the 1.7's then. I'll check mine next time I have a valve cover off.
aftermarket usuially goes through greater pains to make sure they are more exact than slop em together and get em out factory products. One of the reasons Harland Sharps are raved about, they have high quality control for that.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/h...all/index.html

Something else I ran across.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Alright, I did some more looking around. It is a definate I am doing the 1.7's non adjustable. I found out you can still use stock covers so that is a major plus. the pavementsucks writeup makes me confident as well as everyone elses support, so im sold on the idea. Final question (i think... lol). What are the stock size push rods? I just want to check to see how much a new set of pushrods would run. For some reason im thinking the stock size is... 6.850? There is a set here. While I may not need them, it would be cheap insurance.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I don't remember the size, but the set of Comp pushrods i had looked at ran about $100. I think it would be more important to change the valve springs then the pushrods, but I did neither at the time of the install of my 1.7's, and have had no issues. I may still do new springs and pushrods at some point, but not real high on my priority list at this time.
HS rockers fit under stock covers. Crowers, crane, and others do not fit without beating in the baffles. That's why a lot of guys switch to the Mopar Performance valve covers, they are taller.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_2v8.htm

There is a good amout of info. Silver, if you were to replace those rods and springs, how long until you think you would? Or how would you know when you needed to replace them? I think at idle, i have a slight tick on the driver side. It could be anything honestly because I do not hear it any other time than idle. Um... yea so I guess if im going to do it, i mise well do it right.

- - - EDIT

"*There a few things to consider before upgrading to the 1.7:1 rockers. The higher ratio is going to add about .030 more lift. On a high mileage car this may rapid fatigue of the valve springs. If you have more than 50K miles we recommend getting a new set of valvesprings. " - Harland Sharp's website.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I'm not in any hurry to do it, but maybe sometime this year was my thinking.

Quick Reply: Budget 318 Camshaft Build?